MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

Default humphrey pint question

How many of you use the water pan with water, sand etc. when cooking? I find it takes much longer to heat up the smoker. Thoughts appreciated!
sniperfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have the Down East Beast and I use water in the water pan.

You know you can add hot water to the water pan to get it stable much quicker?

I have not tried sand, but I have tried fire bricks neatly cut and laid out in the bottom of the pan. However I prefer to use water in the pan rather than the fire bricks because the water produces much better results for me.

IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

I've had a qubed pint for a couple months - so far only ran it dry without any added bricks/sand. I've never liked water and so far haven't seen any need to add thermal mass to the cooker - it runs nice and steady and recovers pretty quickly. But I haven't yet done a cook where I've really maxed out how much meat I can fit into the cooker. Might need more thermal mass then.

Last edited by BillATL; 06-12-2017 at 04:17 PM..
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Lowki
Full Fledged Farker

I only use water occasionally. I prefer to just throw a disposable in the pan and let it ride, easy clean up. If you have issues getting up to temp. with water; i have had some success with pre-heating using a weed burner in the cook chamber, and adding boiling water after letting heat up. hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

I have a pint with drop in water pan. I have four foil wrapped fire bricks in the pan. It takes me about 45 min to get up to temp. The stable heat is why I use fire bricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfx View Post
How many of you use the water pan with water, sand etc. when cooking? I find it takes much longer to heat up the smoker. Thoughts appreciated!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I normally use water all the time but yesterday did ribs without anything and ran it manually and had no problems at all. Was a little dry here but they were still good.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill

Wes
Westx is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
grills gone wild
Knows what a fatty is.

I have 4 fire bricks in the water pan, have never used water

Old 06-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
grilla
On the road to being a farker

Ive had a quebed pint and now have pint plus, run both with water with great results. I add water once close to desired temp. Also only put gallon or 2 of water in the pan, you don't have to fill pan completely. Water lasts me 4-6 hers before needing to refill at 275-300*
grilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with above...in my BW Party which is the same design I used to put too much water in at the start. Would take forever...no wonder. You can add some as you cook. Start with an inch or two them add more when you put your food on. Works great.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote