Fresh Venison Hindquarters HELP!

iStrikeBack

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Ok long story short (since I'm on my iPhone) I have to fresh Venison Hindquarters. Don't worry I got them legally. I want to smoke them tomorrow when I do some pork butts also but I've never done them. Any advice for them? I wish I could age them but I have no where to store them. Thanks

Think of them like a big roast beef, you want them med rare, medium.

Or you can break them down and slice into steaks, grill med rare again.
These ain't pork butts, and they're not going to pull, but will dry out and be nasty if cooked to high internal temp.

Think of them like a big roast beef, you want them med rare, medium.

Or you can break them down and slice into steaks, grill med rare again.
These ain't pork butts, and they're not going to pull, but will dry out and be nasty if cooked to high internal temp.

Agreed. Very lean, they'll dry out quickly

I agree, they are very lean. I either smoke til med rare...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194855

c4605ab0-fb08-495b-93c8-127dbddddf70_zpsv7mfchdm.jpg

ac1e66cc-70a0-4949-8ad3-f40f7944e46e_zpsmnpzj4av.jpg

1cbb7dde-47d4-4df7-b0c0-16d0c6f50a52_zpswlaetzsm.jpg

or smoke then braise in liquid til tender....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238072

venison%20shoulders%20034res_zpsf6ojcpox.jpg

venison%20shoulders%20044res_zpsrtejb1th.jpg

venison%20shoulders%20014res_zps1npp07pr.jpg

Good luck with however you cook it!

I did one last year. Wrap the whole thing in bacon and smoke it. At almost done I hunked it off the bone and in the crock pot for about 3 hours. It was awesome!

I had a small hind leg in the freezer that I had boned out. Normally I would inject it with something like Creole Butter but I didn't have time to thaw this one completely before I smoked it. I just partially thawed it and rubbed it with Secret Weapon. Smoked it to 170 internal, rested it for 30 minutes and sliced it real thin. It was a tad dry but was very tasty and benefitted from a little Blues Hog Tennessee Red. I cooked this one last week along with some other stuff and it got wiped out at my party.

Last edited:
Collagen doesn't break down until north of 160...and continues til around 180? If you don't cook till at least 180 it's not going to pull.

But venison WILL pull. I wouldn't take it further than 190...180-190 should do it.

I would prefer to brine a couple days ahead, but you're too late for that. I would recommend an injection at this point.

I like to get a little color on it and then braise until tender.

There's no collagen to speak of, just lean red meat. It will dry out and taste "livery"past medium.
If you really want it pulled, or shredded, I'd do like cowgirl and braise it after some smoke, at least you have some liquid to help keep it moist.

Back