• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I have 8 pork butts to cook on wsm 's opinions welcomed !!

grantw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Let's start with what I have, I have 2 18.5 wsm and 1 22.5. In my head I was thinking to do 4 butts in each of my 18.5 cookers, because in my head they will both run about the same. I have 15 hours max to do this.

Cant get 8 all on the 22.5? I think I've done 6 before and had extra room. Been a while tho.

I would go 4 on the 22 and 2 on each of the 18's. This way you will not overload any of your smokers and ensure proper air flow and fuel consumption resulting in a quality cook.

if you're looking to finish them all near the same time, i'd do the 4 on your two 18.5's provided you have enough fuel to load them the same(ie-same briquettes and wood chunks of same size from same batch) and the butts are of the same size. doing that(and provided they aren't placed in areas of differing airflow) should have them cooking at near identical rates and the only real variable you'll have to account for is a stubborn butt or two that takes a bit longer to finish.

The last time I did it I did 6 in my backwoods party and it was definitely too much for it, tomorrow I'll see how they look 4 in an 18. I'm doing the cook Thursday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a test fit and all 8 on the 22 are tight, can be done though. 4 on an 18 with some real light trimming they wouldn't even touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an expert, but I'd think doing 4 on each of the 18s makes sense.

I do 2 on the top grate of my 18 and it fit just fine (trimmed).
I'm assuming I could fit another 2 on the bottom.

packing it in tight on the 22, I'd be afraid it would affect airflow if it were really tight.

just make sure you have enough fuel

Cant get 8 all on the 22.5? I think I've done 6 before and had extra room. Been a while tho.

Not without really jamming them in there. 3 works ok-ish, 4 is too many for a rack.

I would go 4 on the 22 and 2 on each of the 18's. This way you will not overload any of your smokers and ensure proper air flow and fuel consumption resulting in a quality cook.

My thought exactly. Cook times will be the most consistent this way too.

I might just roll all of them, then I can probably run some water in the pan as well. Its the last day to think about it..

Smoking at low temps you really don't need to worry about the food blocking air flow. It takes very little air flow for a fire to burn low and slow. When I first started doing BBQ on a BGE I was blown away by how little I needed the intake vent open to keep temps in the 225-250 range - only about 1/16".

I've done 6 on a 18 and 10 on a 22

It wasn't optimal, but it worked and turned out good food.

Last edited:
I REGULARLY put 4 butts on the top rack of my 22.5 with zero trimming.

If I had 8 to do, I'd have no issues using what I have. Personally I would fill the ring with as much fuel as I could, open all 3 vents, and let it roll. If the temp starts to fall before being probe tender, then wrap & move to the oven.

Might help to think of the whole cook. Are you planning on panning the butts when they reach a certain color? Are you going to try to collect any of the juices to mix back with the pulled meat? Would it be easier to fire up three pits than it would to force a ton of meat into one pit?

+1 on 4 in each 18.5. Easier to get two beds of charcoal going at the same time than 3. You can split a full chimney of coals that way.

I frequently do 5 butts on an 18.5" WSM (8 lb average), 3 on top grate, 2 on bottom, with no issues. I would do 4 butts each on 2 18.5" WSMs.

YMMV.

When it comes to WSMs, Clark's advice is the gospel. Look at his signature panel. After having met here and realizing that we're "long lost cousins" of sorts, I personally know him now, and have even been in his WSM Taj Mahal. His is the only answer you need hahaha!

Dang, that's impressive. I'm guessing it was like three in a row with one on each side, all smooshed up.

I stood them on with the bone side down. Took a small piece of tin foil and made a ball and put in between each one to have a little airflow. It was very very tight. There was no wrapping, spraying them, or anything. Took about 18 hours to cook them.

I mainly had to do it because that's the only cook space I had at the time. 20 between two 22.5's and 8 on the 18.5. IT worked. The weather was perfect so I didn't have to fight any elements. I wouldn't want to do it in windy/cold/rainy situation.

Back