Assassin 48 grill/smoker vs Good one open Range

myedition

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello everyone i need some help... I'm interested in both Assassin 48 and Good one open range... which one is the best for smoking and grilling? and just overall better unit? also pro's and con's

I wish a can help.. but I am getting ready to order the 48 assassin grill.. still ironing out the details and getting advise from fellow bbq brethren. They are very helpful.

Yeah I'm just not sure what to do, I guess i will wait on some feed back.
Thanks for responding. let me know how the details with your Assassin works out!

I have the Open Range, but have never seen an assassin grill in person. Looking at their website I would say it's geared more towards grilling than smoking. They do call it a grill. The Open Range does both equally well. I've ran mine for 10-12 hours without an ATC with no change in temperature. I've also used it as a grill with great results. My Big Steel Keg hasn't been used since I got the Open Range...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to know, just want to make sure I'm spending my money on a worthy product. right now i use my WSM for smoking and Louisiana pellet for grilling.

Do you have problems with getting to the second cooking rack?

can you tell me some pros and cons about the good one open range if any?

That's good to know, just want to make sure I'm spending my money on a worthy product. right now i use my WSM for smoking and Louisiana pellet for grilling.

Do you have problems with getting to the second cooking rack?

can you tell me some pros and cons about the good one open range if any?

Accessing the second rack during a cook would be my only complaint so far, and it's just a minor complaint. Using as small a footprint as the Open Range is, there's not really another way to design it. I've had it for about three months now and it's exceeded my expectations on every level. If you're comfortable at all with fire control and airflow it's extremely easy to use. After my first cook I was confident enough to run it overnight, although I did wake up every couple of hours to make sure the temp was chugging along. I never had to get out if bed - it stayed between 245-265 all night long with no ATC. I've smoked and grilled with it numerous times now and am extremely happy with how well it does both. I do wish it were about 25% bigger, but I couldn't justify going up to the next size. I've been able to fit at different times; 6 slabs of spares, 3 butts and 3 slabs of spares, a brisket and 3 slabs of spares. I've grilled 5 large ribeyes at once - the most the grill had had on it so far. I'm happy with my choice.

I will say this though - my decision to get this was based on needing a great smoker and grill in one. My wife didn't want me to start stockpiling cookers (crazy I know). If my voice was the only one that counted I would've gotten a nice drum and a Weber kettle.

Check out some of the videos on youtube by BBQFreak. The Assassin Grill is an awesome cooking machine.

Here's a link to one of the videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibvg1m6l5M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibvg1m6l5M[/ame]

i have had my Assassin for over a year now and love mine for grilling and smoking and can get a 13 hour cook with a straight maze and like olewarthog said check out all my videos and search BBQ Freak and I show what works and how i improved it .

Thanks guys ... I will check out the video, wow I'm normally not indecisive...lol.
but I will make a decision on Friday!

If I were down to these as my 2 choices...and I wanted to use it as a grill and smoker...no question about it...I'd go with the Assassin. I think it's cool that you can grill on the Good One...but that is not its strength. To small and not enough flexibility IMO. If I were after a smoker ONLY with occasional grilling/reverse searing...I'd take the Good One in a heartbeat.

If I were down to these as my 2 choices...and I wanted to use it as a grill and smoker...no question about it...I'd go with the Assassin. I think it's cool that you can grill on the Good One...but that is not its strength. To small and not enough flexibility IMO. If I were after a smoker ONLY with occasional grilling/reverse searing...I'd take the Good One in a heartbeat.

I've had no problems grilling anything so far on my Open Range. It's definitely not the most versatile grill out there, but at 30" long I've still been able to make different heat zones quite easily. It's strong point is definitely the smoking though. No Guru or ATC control needed at all. It's insane how easy it is to hit temp and just hold it there. I looked at the assassin, and I agree it's a better grill than the Open Range, but I feel the Open Range easily wins on versatility.

and for the record I have never cooked on the Good One , it might be a awesome unit .:wink:

I've never cooked on an assassin - would love to, but had to choose just one that fit me the best.

I never heard of assassin until here, very interesting grills and would be interested. For me with shipping very expensive. I'm picking up Good one or Saturday

I haven't found an owner of either unit unhappy with their purchase

I own a Good One Open Range and Marshall and really like them both. They hold rock solid temps and you don't have to baby sit either of them.

I've never seen an Assassin grill but they look very nice.

I bought both of my Good One's new for 1/2 off, so price wise, there was no comparison.

Good luck in whichever one you decide on.

Wayne

Back