• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Graduation Briskets (Pron)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had a friend contact me, she had eaten some of my brisket at the bar when we had a memorial for her father after he had passed away. She said my brisket was the best she had ever tasted. I thanked her and politely told her that she need to try more places, as I am sure mine is not the best in Texas. She was wondering if I would cook some briskets for her son's graduation party and that she would pay me. I said sure and we discussed that she wanted three and wouldn't mind if there were leftovers that she could seal and freeze. No probs. She asked how much I would charge her and I said I'll buy the meat, you cover that and then give me what you think it's worth.

I was at HEB a week later (5/13) and found three primes that were really good, so I got them and sent her a picture of the receipt. It was $156 for three Primes that averaged 17 pounds ($2.99 per pound). I didn't have freezer space (need to work on that soon), so I decided they could wet age for that long. This ended up causing me to panic, as they smelled a little odd when I opened them, but after rinsing and trimming, and a LOT of talks with fellow Brethren, I stepped away from the ledge. Later, as I pulled them out to rub down, they smelled fine and I was good to go.

Rubbed them with SPOG and a little Paprika for color, and into my cabinet at 1:30 AM running around 225* with some pecan chunk scraps and four big chunks of cherry. Checked them every couple of hours. Around 7 AM, I kicked the Guru up to 275*. I started probing them around 9 AM and pulled them at noon. Rested on the counter for 20 mins, and then wrapped in foil and into a warm oven until I sliced them at 3:30 PM. Two of them were perfect except for the ever elusive smoke ring, which was barely noticeable. The third was slightly over done. It had a couple of edges I needed to trim off and crumbled a little at the ends. Other than that, it was pretty good too. Sliced them all up, separated all the Flats in one pan and the Points in another.

When I got over there, she and her friend asked if they could split a piece before everyone was ready to eat. I said it's yours, so they quickly pulled a slice in half, ate it and made sounds like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. Everyone loved the brisket. As I was leaving, she gave me a check and asked if that was enough. I didn't look, told it her was, folded it in half and put it in my wallet. I wasn't expecting much, did it more as a gift for a friend, and I am not a professional yet. I looked later, she gave me $200. Could have been more. If I start doing it as a side business, I'll have to come up with my rates.

Pictures:

9B2CEB49-21E6-4F7B-B0CE-2DAC727B1829_zpsmb7a4dgx.jpg

167F0F05-1A79-47EE-A2AD-03DF1DAE8D89_zpsfln0x4k4.jpg

468CBC3F-CA52-4BB0-9D08-F35FBA6A140B_zpsbq0a6gru.jpg

01093BED-2C54-489E-8706-039D8409D536_zpsgzhn9xso.jpg

427EAACF-CD54-483E-B62B-414211386DE1_zpsy55bgt8r.jpg

365498BA-3D60-478D-8DB0-C5B5FAD6818C_zpsoqbgpira.jpg

9D882257-AAA9-42AE-A8A8-AA502D866D62_zpsxisbdhyi.jpg

372A5DE8-4E89-4C59-81C1-CE818CFA1D53_zpsgcq1wrri.jpg

05B07905-94AD-45F9-AE02-134F7E2916D4_zpshhyv1nux.jpg

B90F42E1-3C68-4190-AA5E-E1CEB2E12A4B_zpszimogiy6.jpg

BFA3642C-CA78-4B1A-AD5B-4931C4834068_zpslkw3bd8w.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Man that is really good looking brisket. Regarding your pricing....I know it's hard to charge people you know what you should charge, but if I'm reading this correctly you got $44 to cook? I've told a lot of my friends how long things like brisket take to cook. They usually have no idea how long good BBQ can take. Did you let her know the time commitment? If not, then you need to make it known next time you're cooking for friends, young Jeddi warrior.....

***If however, the $200 was on top of the $156 please disregard my comments....or at least know $200 for cooking that long is a lot more reasonable than $44

Last edited:
But, your time and the job you did is worth more than $200. That puts you in a hard spot and most people don't understand the labor of cooking. But when you consider your gas going and getting the meat. The fuel you used and your time of cooking. It's worth considerably more.

Yes, that was total including the price of the meat. By "could have been more", I expected at least $100 on top of the costs, but then again, this was for a friend (not close, just a friend), I probably would have done it once for cost alone.

I have another BBQ friend that says "I'll buy the brisket and cook it for you for $100". That's probably closer to what I would expect. I think Bill Miller's charges $10 a pound cooked. Even if I got 50% yield after trim and cook, there had to be around 25 pounds of cooked meat.

Again, I am not complaining about what she paid me. This time. Next time, I will probably establish a rate...

briskets look like they are tender and juicy. as far as pricing i typically charge $25 per brisket plus the cost of the brisket for friends. for really good friends they don't get charged as i typically owe them for something else they have done for me. i am not a caterer and never really plan to be either. i just like to cook briskets.

Reminds me of my woodworking days, folks wanted custom bookcases and used Walmart $88 particle board POS as a reference. I just smiled and said I could not start my saws for that price.

Nice work Terry. It would be practically impossible to put a price to all that work and time spent.

Good job Terry, yes most people don't understand the cost and time involved in smoking a brisket you have your Charcoal, Smoking wood, rubs, foil pans and your time and let's not forget the $3000.00 dollar smoker you used.

What you got out of it was a good felling helping out a friend and another Brisket cook under your belt so a little more experience that didn't cost you much.

Reminds me of my woodworking days, folks wanted custom bookcases and used Walmart $88 particle board POS as a reference. I just smiled and said I could not start my saws for that price.

Love the comment HouseDoc! I feel like there's a race to the bottom where the lowest bidder is thought of as the going rate. People start confusing maximum vs minimum. Hats off to you for holding firm and protecting the craft

looks great! the cook that I did last weekend, the guy bought the meat and gave me $60 on top of that for 3 briskets, chix and green beans.

Good looking briskets. That is a tough situation. I sell residential building materials for a living and more often then not I don't make what I want when I sell and install for friends.

Terry, I apologize for not knowing who Bill Miller is, but have you seen what Arron Franklin is charging per pound for his brisket? By the look of your cook it seems comparable considering how most commercialized BBQ joints are. I've tried Franklins, and honestly, it was good, but that is comparing it to the others out there. Our "labor of love" is often underrated even by ourselves.

Back