Fattie from scratch

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Naked fattie that is ... and pork, not beef ...

I have had a search and most Fattie/Fatty threads presume you start with a Jimmy Dean store-bought breakfast sausage roll. These are not available down our way so we need to start from scratch.

1. I assume that if I just shape into a roll, it will break up, so what is the best binding mix? Eggs? Eggs + ???
2. What are some nice herbs/spice combinations you blokes have tried?
3. I have plenty of rubs so will try the Victory Lane Sweet BBQ rub, maybe layered with Kosmos Killer Bee Honey rub.
4. What diameter, and what sort of shrinkage (oh no, what am I innuendoizing?)?
5. Internal temp about 160-180, I'll probably go for the upper end of that range.
6. What fat to meat ratio is suggested?
7. Any prep - like forming up and then refridging for several hours to help the binding?

Any other suggestions?

TIA.

It wasn't from scratch but I did a fatty using a pound of store bought hot Italian pork sausage that wasn't in a roll. It was package like fresh ground beef. I just shaped it into a roll around 3" in diameter, rolled it in Memphis Dust, and smoked it to 165 degrees. I didn't need to use any binders to get it to stick together.

It wasn't from scratch but I did a fatty using a pound of store bought hot Italian pork sausage that wasn't in a roll. It was package like fresh ground beef. I just shaped it into a roll around 3" in diameter, rolled it in Memphis Dust, and smoked it to 165 degrees. I didn't need to use any binders to get it to stick together.

Ahh, good to know - my main concern was this.

OK, ready to go ... 2x substantial fatties, ground pork, onion, panko crumbs, wooster, 2x eggs, garlic, Bulgogi sauce, Oakridge Santa Maria as spice.

Rubbed one in Oakridge Dominator, the other in layered Victory Lane Sweet and Kosmos Killer Bee. On at 225 heading for 250-275 with water (unusual) in WSM + apple and cherry lumps.

Attachments

• IMG_2698_nekkid_fattie (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_2698_nekkid_fattie (Mobile).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 133
Anytime I make sausage, I usually have some left to make fatties after I'm done stuffing. It all works - hot link, breakfast, andouille, Italian, kielbasa, etc. and all of it is good. Just roll, smoke, and enjoy! I tend to use SM sweet and spicy, but it's hard to go wrong, really. Put that chit on a biscuit - you'll be glad you did, esp. if pepper jelly is involved.

Greg's spot on, I like to experiment with different styles too.

Sorry to say I can't do a decent bacon weave but those sure look good also.

OK, pulled one at 160, the other is still running and will pull at 180.

Well, WOW, wife (who loves meatloaf) said she'll never cook a meatloaf again - I am in the gun for all of those from now on. She has got the second that is still on all booked up for two meals over the rest of the week.

I loved them, very moist, just begging for a bit of cheese. The Bulgogi was terrific Titch, very suitable I thought. I can see why people like them unstuffed - really was good.

Attachments

• IMG_2699_fattie (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_2699_fattie (Mobile).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2701_fattie (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_2701_fattie (Mobile).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 96
I use whatever sausage the gets at Aldi's or the sausage that is made from the pigs we have butchered every year. Yours looks fantastic.

Back