Opinion Needed on Vertical Smoker Build

hunt4fur

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a vertical square smoker. The cook chamber is 30" wide, 24" deep, 45 tall. The fire box is 30 x 24 x 9. The fire box is all out of 1/4" and frame is 2" heavy wall tubing. I am going to put fire brick in the box and 2" thick wool in the side. I want to make it electric also and use 1500 watt elements. Based on everyone's expertise should I put 2 -1500 watt elements. I am going to use it majority of the time for just smoking and want a 225 temp. This is my first time on the site to post but I spend alot of time reading all the knowledge contributed. I'll take the thrashing if I did it wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I am not much help on the element size but would look at the size of elements on store bought units as a guide.

I assume the elements are removable so you can burn wood?

Pictures would be a big help

Thanks and good luck

Thank you very much. Most elements above 1500 require 220V to run and I think with the way I intend to insulate and firebrick it would work but want to make it right the first time. Most other smokers except for the ECB has 1200W elements. I will get some pics but my posting abilities may be lacking.

Back