MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Default Previously Frozen Comp Brisket?

I searched and peep at about 4 pages of threads trying to find info on this subject and didn't find it, so lemme ask the pros. Does it work, and / or would you do it? It's a pain the arse to find brisket here and I was thinking if I did find some or found a place to order some I might have to buy a case or something. Also I got this situation right now where I got my two brisket for upcoming context in the fridge and now I have found me a better looking couple of Prime briskets and was thinking about freezing the first two. What say ye?

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendriver
I searched and peep at about 4 pages of threads trying to find info on this subject and didn't find it, so lemme ask the pros. Does it work, and / or would you do it? It's a pain the arse to find brisket here and I was thinking if I did find some or found a place to order some I might have to buy a case or something. Also I got this situation right now where I got my two brisket for upcoming context in the fridge and now I have found me a better looking couple of Prime briskets and was thinking about freezing the first two. What say ye?
I use frozen brisket no problem.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

We buy "quality" brisket when and where we can find it.
It is then wet aged in my beer frig for 30 to 50 days from the pack date.
Then, if we are not ready to use it up--we freeze it till needed.
I have 4 Prime briskets in the hard freezer now, and 3 more CABs in the aging frig awaiting their fate
And, 2 cheapass "Selects" in the frig to cook up this weekend for Chile and stuff.

We have never, ever, noticed a difference (good or bad) from the freezing.

Lots of opinions out there.

FWIW

TIM

Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendriver
I see no problems freezing briskets, expecially if they are in the cryo. Probably wouldn't leave them for more than 6 months and use for comp. When thawing, some say that a longer thaw in the fridge is best. The idea is that it is more of an even and gradual thaw. Less likely to release juices during the thaw.

Example of this is thawing a skinless chicken breast on the counter versus in the fridge. The counter thaw usually has the chicken swimming in a pool of water/juice by the time it is thawed. Less likely in the fridge. Probably not as much of a concern for a dense cut of beef like brisket, but a general practice that I try to follow when I can.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

I recently got a pork suppier and have to get it buy the case. I have frozen slabs and butts. I haven't noticed a difference.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
bbqjoe
Banned

Go for it. No problem.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Cryo makes the big difference!! If it's not than you need to buy a good Vac sealer to make it right. Freezer burn is not far behind a store wrapped cut!! As noted before ageing for 30 to 50 days--- this is in a cryovac. And it is only safe and successful if the Cryoseal is intact. When you buy a food sealer, you are essentually Cryovacing your meat ( with the exception of flash freezing it .) No meat should be aged for 30 to 50 days in it's raw state unless it is in an air tight environment.

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
flynaked720
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have done many frozen briskets in the past. I never noticed any difference in taste or texture
flynaked720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We do it all the time
Buy a case and use as needed

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I see no problems freezing briskets, expecially if they are in the cryo. Probably wouldn't leave them for more than 6 months and use for comp. When thawing, some say that a longer thaw in the fridge is best. The idea is that it is more of an even and gradual thaw. Less likely to release juices during the thaw.

Example of this is thawing a skinless chicken breast on the counter versus in the fridge. The counter thaw usually has the chicken swimming in a pool of water/juice by the time it is thawed. Less likely in the fridge. Probably not as much of a concern for a dense cut of beef like brisket, but a general practice that I try to follow when I can.

Makes a lot of sense, Thanks

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Divemaster

Do it all the time.... Pick from the case what is to be used for comps and what is for the customers...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Great thread! I assumed you would all have a tizzy about using frozen meat for a comp. I've got a lot to learn! Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Bigmista

Just remember, 4 years is too long to freeze a brisket. Take it from someone who knows.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I know we have to freeze briskets for practical reasons and we have good results with them.

But I can't help thinking that if I had two equal quality/grade briskets and one was frozen and one was fresh, that I would pick the fresh one every time. I also can't help thinking that most, if not all, cooks would too.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've won with frozen, but it took a hell of a long time to get up the nerve to do it since we'd won with fresh prior.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote