MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

Default Taking the fun out of Smoking...

An accountant at heart and always working to perfect the brisket, this is what happens after a brisket cook.

Thought id share my madness.

rb

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
tenpenny_05
Full Fledged Farker

Haha NERD!!!

Just kidding, I always find myself wishing I had taken better notes on previous cooks.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

You are speaking to my hidden inner nerd! This is a good idea, it would help achieve consistency if nothing else.

BTW what app did you use to plot this? Is there related hardware?
BGE, Weber Summit, 22" Kettle, SmokinIt#3, Round Boy Pizza Oven, FLAMED Thermopen

Last edited by Bigfoot21075; 03-30-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Bigfoot21075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

A true nerd would not be taking the measurements manually and entering them into Excel . . .

Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
A true nerd would not be taking the measurements manually and entering them into Excel . . .

yep.. notes are taken on my Note4 w/ the stylus pen, then entered into excel the next day. :)

rb

Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
aawa
Babbling Farker

This is how you get better. You take notes on your cooks and reflect on what you liked and didn't like then apply what you learned on the next cook.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, including me, that will say they keep notes on their cooks.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
GLOCKer
On the road to being a farker

The ability to record my data is one of the reasons I love my CyberQ controller.

Here is an 11.5 hour pork shoulder:

My regret is not exporting the data before my phone updated to Nougat and I lost the data except for the screen grabs. Booooooooo!
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
The ability to record my data is one of the reasons I love my CyberQ controller.

Here is an 11.5 hour pork shoulder:

My regret is not exporting the data before my phone updated to Nougat and I lost the data except for the screen grabs. Booooooooo!
That CyberQ holds a hell of a temp doesnt it? I am tracking like a pilgrim. Pen and a spreadsheet. :)

rb

Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
GLOCKer
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post
That CyberQ holds a hell of a temp doesnt it? I am tracking like a pilgrim. Pen and a spreadsheet. :)

rb
HAHAHA I know it's kind of cheating!

I actually didn't even consider the benefit of graphing a cook until seeing my first cook with the CyberQ. I can't wait to see how a brisket looks on the graph with the stall!
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
JWACKS
Knows what a fatty is.

A true nerd would have plotted the actual time on the X axis and not each time stamp as an event. Since you didn't check your temps at consistent time intervals it changes the shape of your graph.
Changing from a "line" chart to a "scatter" chart in Excel will fix it.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
mikebrinda
Got Wood.

As a computer guy, much appreciated.
mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWACKS View Post
A true nerd would have plotted the actual time on the X axis and not each time stamp as an event. Since you didn't check your temps at consistent time intervals it changes the shape of your graph.
Changing from a "line" chart to a "scatter" chart in Excel will fix it.
I definitely thought of that when putting the chart together. BUUTTT the scatter graph wont track the actual TIMES on the X Axis, only plots by point in sequence. So since i did not track the temps at consistent times, there is no way of knowing what actual times the temp points were taken.

#gettingtoodeep :)

rb

Old 03-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
This is how you get better. You take notes on your cooks and reflect on what you liked and didn't like then apply what you learned on the next cook.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, including me, that will say they keep notes on their cooks.
^^^this!!!

it also helps when you have several cookers to know/remember that one might cook quicker than the other or have hot/cold spot or take longer to come up to temp, etc. i have never graphed a temp but i make notes until i get it right and then i can refer back to what needs to be done.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post
An accountant at heart and always working to perfect the brisket, this is what happens after a brisket cook.

Thought id share my madness.

rb
Scientific proof of "The Stall". Nice!
Humphrey's Battle Box
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote