MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
NJ2 BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default wsm 18 vs 22

i already have the 18 and just found a 22 on craigslist for $225. how well does the 22 hold at low temp. my 18 holds temp great. pretty much a set it and forget it. any other things you prefer one over the other let me know. thanks

Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

The 22" is a great smoker as far as holding steady heat is concerned. Bigger is always better.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

I have both the 18 and the 22.

The 18 is easier to transport if I plan to take one of them somewhere, such as a tailgate party.

The main benefits of the 22 include 1) more capacity, and 2) you can easily fit a packer brisket on either of the grates without having to drape it over a bowl or something similar, and it will easily handle full slabs of ribs without having to roll them up or cut them in half.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Get it! My patio has seen a number of cookers come and go over the years...the one constant is the WSM. Can't think of any scenario in which I could part with it. Wouldn't mind having another if I could ever find one on CL.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd say get it cuz it's super sexy!!

I also have an 18 and 22. I use the 18 far more than the 22, but it's once to have the extra real estate. I've found that the 22 is a fuel hog, but I also run water in it. Both hold temps rock steady.
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Get the 22. I can get 3 STL racks of ribs or 2 full spares on the top rack without a rib rack.

Also $225 is a good price if it's in good condition. I've bought 2 used ones for $250

Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
faq88
Found some matches.

I just bought a 22.5 for $225 on craigslist and I think it was a great deal. My first impression when I went to pick it up was, "wow! that's big!" Luckily it fit in my 4-door sedan. After I got it set up and started cooking on it, I didn't mind the size. I do think it will use a lot more charcoal, but I was able to fit 2 whole rib racks with ease on it. Then you can start adding sides and have all the room you want. I would say for that price go for it!!! Good luck!
faq88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
newtwoq
is one Smokin' Farker

I have both, can fit 4 racks on the 22 grate easily, she does like to eat charcoal and she does like to run hot without a blower on her.
18.5" and 22.5" WSM's
36” Blackstone
DigiQ DX2
Pit Master IQ110
Mav. ET-732
Thermapen
newtwoq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

I've owned both in the past and the 22.5 is the way to go if you like brisket. It will use more fuel but it's just as stable as the 18.5.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
tb80
Take a breath!

Agreed with all the above. I use the 22" primarily when I am doing brisket or more than one rack of ribs or pork butt.

If I am just doing one rack of ribs or pork butt, then I will use my Weber kettle or the 18.5 WSM.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
WilliamD
Full Fledged Farker

I use the 18.5 and love it; BUT...I do agree with above that the 22 is more useful for a full packer Brisket a flat will fit on both......and...having extra real estate is always a plus. Also, if it is in good condition, 225 is not a bad price. But for ribs, i have no problem doing 4 or even 6 racks on the 18...just "hang 'em"!!

Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor with a 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor :bow:
WilliamD is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

The hanging kit is awesome.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Well, I hope the lack of response means he went to get it and is busy smoking on it now...

I did not have an 18, just the 22. Mine ran for over 12 hours on half a bag of charcoal (10 pounds). If you find yourself using two grates on the 18, you'd probably just use the top grate of the 22. To me, I like doing that rather than pulling the top grate off to get to the bottom.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #14
NJ2 BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks all for the input. Not into brisket that much but do a lot of pork butt and ribs. My financial advisor (wife) is telling me if I buy it I have to sell my 18. It's still for sale but I really like my 18.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #15
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have all three. If I had to choose between 22 and 18 I'd go with the 18. The 22 is nice when you want to go big. I'll use mine when I want to put several butts on and have some space left over for brats, fatties, etc. I have no problem cutting a brisket in half to fit the 18 grates and I can hang ribs. Usually when I do ribs, I do them in my 26 kettle since surface area matters more if you want to lay them flat. (I use 2 firebrick to provide indirect heat.

It also seems like the 22 takes a lot more charcoal. If you're doing a big cook that's justified but much of time the 18 is more efficient.