Smithfield Prime Reserve Pork Rocks!!

wrinklenuts

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just purchased and cooked a Smithfield Prime pork butt and it was incredibly rich and so tender. It was easily the best I've ever cooked. I usually buy non enhanced Seaboard Farms but Smithfield non enhanced duroc pork is awesome.

Unfortunately have not seen the Smithfield Prime Reserve here and I have looked.

I just purchased and cooked a Smithfield Prime pork butt and it was incredibly rich and so tender. It was easily the best I've ever cooked. I usually buy non enhanced Seaboard Farms but Smithfield non enhanced duroc pork is awesome.

Are you sponsored by Smithfield or have any affiliation or just felt the product was so great you wanted to call it on the forum?

I got them at the Cash Savers in Haysville KS. They also had the Smithfield Prime Reserve Spare Ribs and St Louis Style Ribs. Yummy!!

Are you sponsored by Smithfield or have any affiliation or just felt the product was so great you wanted to call it on the forum?

No, I'm a Probation Officer who loves good pork. Just posting my results and love for their product.

Duroc is a good pigger for flavor. Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can find any in my area!

Where did you get it? Smithfield has the regular line,
and Extra Tender (jasonjax's fav) and Duroc, maybe more.
Would be nice to know where to get these things.

Who would have thought there would be such a big difference. I wouldn't have.
I've read they have bred US hogs to be leaner, and therefore - less tasty.
Berkshires, etc. are heritage breeds, maybe Duroc is one.

So Duroc is a breed of pig?

that it is ... a heritage breed and really is what most people envision as a hog .. very difficult to raise in large numbers hence the additional cost. Its also likely the original source of what we call the "feral hog."

The duroc is one of the few remaining domesticated hogs that routinely practices cannibalism on its own offspring. That being said - a duroc can sustain itself just fine in a pasture eating whatever it runs across.

I must agree, my local grocer sells prime and it is pretty tasty

Yea, I'm not going to buy anything else in the future. I'm going to go get some more before they go off sale. It's a no brainer for now freaking awesome this stuff is.

I've read they have bred US hogs to be leaner, and therefore - less tasty.
Berkshires, etc. are heritage breeds, maybe Duroc is one.

There are many heritage breeds being raised...just not be large factory/corporate farms.

When raised right, many of those breeds have meat as red as beef...and as well marbled.

Last edited:
Duroc is supposed to have better intramuscular marbling than some other breeds. Duroc as a breed is widely used as a sire line and could hardly be regarded as a "heritage" breed.

Back