New smoker business

Peteg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Hi everyone, After talking about it for a long time, my buddy and I decided to finally take the leap and start selling our smokers. We’re planning on selling a few different sizes of the vertical smoker in the pictures. Eventually we’ll add an offset to the mix. I’m curious if any of you have any opinions on things that you would add to the smoker in the picture. We’re planning on adding options for a folding side table. Anything else? I greatly appreciate any advice you guys have. We’re looking forward to making a whole bunch of these!
Pete

[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_20170225_160836646_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170225_160836646_HDR.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • IMG_20170225_160944749_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170225_160944749_HDR.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • IMG_20170225_161011376_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170225_161011376_HDR.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_20170225_161153219_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170225_161153219_HDR.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,599
  • IMG_20170225_211444997_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170225_211444997_HDR.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,601
[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Hi everyone, After talking about it for a long time, my buddy and I decided to finally take the leap and start selling our smokers. We’re planning on selling a few different sizes of the vertical smoker in the pictures. Eventually we’ll add an offset to the mix. I’m curious if any of you have any opinions on things that you would add to the smoker in the picture. We’re planning on adding options for a folding side table. Anything else? I greatly appreciate any advice you guys have. We’re looking forward to making a whole bunch of these!
Pete

[/FONT]

Congrats and good luck on the new business. That smoker looks clean!

Nice smoker, good luck with the business!

Probe ports? Cleaning valve? Sausage hangers? Looks nice a nice build and interesting to see you burning wood as most insulated verticals I see just recommend charcoal.

Probe ports? Cleaning valve? Sausage hangers? Looks nice a nice build and interesting to see you burning wood as most insulated verticals I see just recommend charcoal.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I could definitely see adding all of those things. I actually built this one with sausage in mind, as I make a bunch of landjaeger ever year. I usually just run rods across the width of the cooker. What type of sausage hangars do you like? I've never really looked into it before. My requirement for this one was to be able to use it as a stick burner (just because I love the flavor) and also add charcoal overnight and also use it for sausage (low sustained temps). I burned sticks in it for about 4 hours this last weekend and it worked really well. Looking forward to trying sausage in a week or two:grin:

What type of difuser or baffle do you have tween the fire box and the cook box ?

What type of difuser or baffle do you have tween the fire box and the cook box ?

It's a rectangle pan made out of 12 gauge steel. The idea is for it to hold a hotel pan, filled with water. On the next build I'm going to lower that rack by an inch or two, so that it will hold one of the deep hotel pans with the ability to slide in and out.

This is just a pet peeve of mine...I prefer the doors to be on the wider side. That way I don't have to pull the rack all the way out to get to the meat in the back. I cook a lot of briskets in my cabinet and I just open the door and both are right there vs one in front and one in the back. It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a Humphreys, well that and the price was double what I paid for the same size. Just my .02

Good luck on the smoker sales. Looks like you make a real nice cooker.

That's a great point Paul. I think I'll make the next one with the door on the wide side. I was already planning on making the next one a little bit less deep and little wider, so I think it will make even more sense with the new size. Great input, I really appreciate it.
Pete

Good luck with your business. I'm sure The Brethren will get a discount, right????

Smoker looks nice! I think a wider door would be good too. Diamond plate is also nice too!

I like that you are burning wood in a vertical and if I were to buy one I wood plan on mostly wood. Question I have is are you designing that type to burn wood. The reason I am curious is that I have talked to a few vertical builders that make insulated rigs similar to yours and they told me theirs was not meant to burn only wood. I assume it is because wood is hotter?:noidea:

I like that you are burning wood in a vertical and if I were to buy one I wood plan on mostly wood. Question I have is are you designing that type to burn wood. The reason I am curious is that I have talked to a few vertical builders that make insulated rigs similar to yours and they told me theirs was not meant to burn only wood. I assume it is because wood is hotter?:noidea:

I definitely designed it to burn straight wood. My requirements were that it perform well burning straight wood and also charcoal. When I cook I usually burn wood until the wrapping stage and then load charcoal overnight. My buddy is coming over this Saturday and we're planning on throwing a brisket on. I'll keep good notes and take lots of pics and post the results.

Back