MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : WvQ
Default Over Curing Bacon?

I used the information from the link below to attempt to make my own bacon for the first time. Based on 6lbs of pork belly 1 tsp of cure, 1.5 cups water plus sugar and kosher salt. It says cure 1.3 days and don't push it more than 25% longer. What happens if you over cure bacon?

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...m_scratch.html

Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I've never used a recipe that calls for only 1.3 days of curing...however, I have made some super salty bacon by accident. I'd say that's probably what happens. You make salt pork.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
I have made some super salty bacon by accident. I'd say that's probably what happens.
I would agree. I didn't read the recipe, but unless you are using an EQ cure, that would be the risk.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

I don't use the AR recipe, however I've always cured bacon 7 - 10 days. I'd say legendaryhog has it about right.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
newtwoq
is one Smokin' Farker

I have only done bacon once and have read just enough to be dangerous haha.

I would find an EQ cure recipe utilizing percentages based on the meat's weight. Then use a cure time based on 1/4" per day (divided by 2 if no skin) plus two days to be safe.
18.5" and 22.5" WSM's
36” Blackstone
DigiQ DX2
Pit Master IQ110
Mav. ET-732
Thermapen
newtwoq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It does seem short, but the salt level his cure calls for is only 2% of the weight, so I doubt you will over cure it, no matter if you tripled the time or not.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the help, I went home at lunch to pull it out of the cure after what would have been about 41 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1561.jpg (101.3 KB, 155 views)

Old 02-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

When bacon is dry cured by properly weighing the cure, salt, and sugar according to the weight of the belly itself, it cannot get nitrite burn (over cured).

However when bacon is properly cured with a curing brine, the amount of cure is calculated in PPM (Parts Per Million) on an estimated pick-up ratio of the curing brine into the meat, at or around 4%. Yes you can over-cure and have nitrite burn with wet cures. One tell-tale sign is a slight iridescent color when freshly slicing the bacon and holding it at a rounded angle to the bright light.

The end result can be poor texture, off color, and sometimes a slight off flavor; but more importantly you can also have an elevated level of nitrites in the finished product. All of these results can vary according to the total time in the curing brine and the total % of nitrite pick up into the meat.

Wet cures have faster results do to the water and the higher levels of nitrite.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I do use a crude formula for my dry cure, however, I usually go by feel. When you get a pork belly it is a floppy piece. When it has cured and released some water you should have a nice, firm feeling belly. It will take some trial and error, but I have found (much like a brisket with the probe test) you will have some bellies that take a day or two longer than others regardless of how careful you do the math. Once you get the hang of it you can tell when the cure is done by feel. Once you nail it, you'll remember how it felt when it was done and you can eliminate some of the guesswork.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvQ View Post
Thanks for the help, I went home at lunch to pull it out of the cure after what would have been about 41 hours.
It's hard to tell by a picture, but that doesn't look cured to me. How does it feel? Floppy or nice and firm? Cut off a small piece and fry it up. See what it tastes like before you proceed with anything else.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
When bacon is dry cured by properly weighing the cure, salt, and sugar according to the weight of the belly itself, it cannot get nitrite burn (over cured).

However when bacon is properly cured with a curing brine, the amount of cure is calculated in PPM (Parts Per Million) on an estimated pick-up ratio of the curing brine into the meat, at or around 4%. Yes you can over-cure and have nitrite burn with wet cures. One tell-tale sign is a slight iridescent color when freshly slicing the bacon and holding it at a rounded angle to the bright light.

The end result can be poor texture, off color, and sometimes a slight off flavor; but more importantly you can also have an elevated level of nitrites in the finished product. All of these results can vary according to the total time in the curing brine and the total % of nitrite pick up into the meat.

Wet cures have faster results do to the water and the higher levels of nitrite.
I have heard of the exact opposite about nitrite burn, or about over cured meat being iridescent. You got any science to back that up? I'm always into expanding my knowledge.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
I have heard of the exact opposite about nitrite burn, or about over cured meat being iridescent. You got any science to back that up? I'm always into expanding my knowledge.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0502123433.htm

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...d/5046.article
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

I've cured quite a few. The worst that happens with too long is it gets a bit too salty. I also never use nitrite (if that's the right one). Oh yeah, it's not as pink as store product. I generally use the recipes in "Charcuterie". The maple is awesome traditional bacon; the savory is also very good.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Turned out good for the first time, wife says little too salty, I think not enough. Regardless it's good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1562.jpg (98.6 KB, 91 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #15
Victory
On the road to being a farker

Ive only ever done a dry cure and usually go 7-10 days. my last batch I let it cure almost 3 weeks and it came out fine.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
bacon, Pork Belly