MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
WHS88
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question about running an empty water pan

I have a verticle cabinet smoker with a drop in water pan. My first few cooks I've put water in the pan, but I'm not real happy with the bark I'm getting. Everything is "wet." I want to run the cooker with no water in the pan. Will it damage the pan if I run it empty? I do have a heat deflector between the fire and the pan. If I take the pan out is it going to allow too much heat to get in the cabinet? Seems like I've seen people putting fire brick wrapped in foil in the pan or even sand. Any and all help appreciated.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd see what humpreys says about it in terms of extra wear on the cooker if not used how intended. I know backwoods recommend water in the pan since well, it is designed to be a water cooker . Mine's drop in as too. I have run it with no water in the pan and cooked around 400. Temps can get hot quick with no water, but mine still dials into what I want. But I only tried no water a half dozen times.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Yes, you can run it with no water. If you do, wrap it in foil for easy clean-up. As for fire bricks, sand, etc., people use them in place of the water as a heat sink to help control temperatures.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
WHS88
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Yes, you can run it with no water. If you do, wrap it in foil for easy clean-up. As for fire bricks, sand, etc., people use them in place of the water as a heat sink to help control temperatures.
Is that really needed if you have a heat deflector?

Old 02-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
wayne77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHS88 View Post
I have a verticle cabinet smoker with a drop in water pan. My first few cooks I've put water in the pan, but I'm not real happy with the bark I'm getting. Everything is "wet." I want to run the cooker with no water in the pan. Will it damage the pan if I run it empty? I do have a heat deflector between the fire and the pan. If I take the pan out is it going to allow too much heat to get in the cabinet? Seems like I've seen people putting fire brick wrapped in foil in the pan or even sand. Any and all help appreciated.

The water pan shouldn't make your food wet. How cold is it outside when you cook and at what temp are you cooking? If it's cold out and you're cooking at 225 the humphreys tend to get a ton of condensation built up. When it's cold let it run around 275 and I'd bet that solves your problem.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
WHS88
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne77 View Post
The water pan shouldn't make your food wet. How cold is it outside when you cook and at what temp are you cooking? If it's cold out and you're cooking at 225 the humphreys tend to get a ton of condensation built up. When it's cold let it run around 275 and I'd bet that solves your problem.
First cook, it was cold (in the teens) and I ran the smoker at about 250. Next two smokes it was cool, but not cold. Again, ran at about 250. When I say wet, I don't feel like I'm getting a good bark on my meat. Taste and tenderness are perfect. You can see condensation on the inside of the smoker during the cook. I have my valve and chimney set the way Chad recommended when I talked to him. My ball valve is about 1/4 open and my chimney is about 1/3 open. I meant to call Chad yesterday, but didn't get to it. What would happen if I wrap the top of the water pan in foil and poke some holes in the foil? You think that would reduce the condensation?

Old 02-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
Jason TQ

Quote:
First cook, it was cold (in the teens) and I ran the smoker at about 250. Next two smokes it was cool, but not cold. Again, ran at about 250. When I say wet, I don't feel like I'm getting a good bark on my meat. Taste and tenderness are perfect. You can see condensation on the inside of the smoker during the cook. I have my valve and chimney set the way Chad recommended when I talked to him. My ball valve is about 1/4 open and my chimney is about 1/3 open. I meant to call Chad yesterday, but didn't get to it. What would happen if I wrap the top of the water pan in foil and poke some holes in the foil? You think that would reduce the condensation?
It's a water cooker so the "bark" will be different and softer. I got ribs rolling right now on my bw and they are very different than my stickburner. Unless you run it dry it will most time have a softer bark. I doubt your foil idea will affect it much, but you could try.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Jason TQ

As an illustration here is a rack from today after 3hrs on my bw chubby and is clearly soft

And here is a rack on my stickburner after about 2.5hrs. Less time and the bark is much more firm and "bark like" because of the dryer environment

The vertical cabinet water smoker put out awesome stuff, but it will be different than other smokers.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
KevinJ

That top rack Jason looks pretty darn good to me.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
That top rack Jason looks pretty darn good to me.
Thanks. It's all just personal preference. I like them both ways .

Old 02-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Is that really needed if you have a heat deflector?
The foil is if it's dripped on, like in the WSM, not to protect it from heat.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
WHS88
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Jason. I've got six racks going on tomorrow for the game. Guess I'm gonna roll with the water until I can talk to Chad. Like I said, everything that has come off that smoker has great taste and tenderness, just not that crusty bark. Do you normally follow the same kind of cook times? I assume so seeing you're cooking at the same temps. My other cooks so far have been about the same. If anything, my butts have maybe cooked a little faster on this smoker.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
WHS88
Full Fledged Farker

By the way Jason, both sets of your ribs look pretty darn good to me! If I can get these tomorrow looking like that, I'll be pretty happy!

Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
Jason TQ

Quote:
Thanks Jason. I've got six racks going on tomorrow for the game. Guess I'm gonna roll with the water until I can talk to Chad. Like I said, everything that has come off that smoker has great taste and tenderness, just not that crusty bark. Do you normally follow the same kind of cook times? I assume so seeing you're cooking at the same temps. My other cooks so far have been about the same. If anything, my butts have maybe cooked a little faster on this smoker.
Ya normally cook times are about the same. For a while I thought my BW cooked a little faster, but I haven't done too many statistical analysis . My friends never complain about lack of bark when doing ribs on my BW vs when they are on my shirley.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I never run water in either of my insulated cabinets. I use a heat diverter and foil the water pan if I'm not cooking in pans. Bark is a little better without water. I do find that the insulated cabinet cooks quicker. I find it cooks a lot quicker if the meat is really cold. You could replace the pan with a sheet of flat steel. I did that in my red box smoker.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote