Anyone cooked a whole steamship round on the smoker?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing one of these for a large party.

I'll have plenty of room on the FEC-100 for it if I move some shelves around.

Any tips or thoughts about cooking something that big on the smoker? Makes a brisket look like child's play!

Thanks.

:shock:

DSC_0066.JPG

Holy sh*t.....:shock::shock:

Actually I just looked up on Google. Man....I thought a whole chuck roll was big....WOW. Strangely....I'm feeling an uncontrollable urge to text my butcher and see if he can get one...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Will be VERY interested in following this thread....

First you need a cooker the size of a coal fired furnace, like a steamship would have. Then you need a cow, then a wheelbarrow each of salt and pepper. A meat thermometer with about a 10 inch probe would be helpful. Since it is a "round" cut I would aim for rare on the inside or that thing might be tougher than heck. Not much connective tissue to render in a hind quarter.

I've done a few mutton legs on a Santa Maria grill in my time but this is something else. I will stay tuned for the play by play.

I actually started one of those threads. I'm ready for a fresh take with new blood. I did the clod, but I still haven't tried a steamship round, and I want to!

I found some great advice in some of those threads, but a lot of it discussed rotisserie.

I'd be throwing this in a FEC-100 and cooking @ around 350* .... 400 would be getting close to the thermal limit of the FEC-100.

And if you're a beef fan like me check out this video. Very cool. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFtccTcPBKo"]Chef Schneller Breaks Down a Beef Round - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I seem to recall that these are normally cooked to med rare and served in sort of thin roast beef slices--the slices are huge so I have seen them divided into a rare/med rare half from the part near the center and the big bone and a med half from the part nearer the outside.

Imagine that that thing will take a while to cook at 275!!

Thks for posting and not quite sure what to say about this other than....bring it on!!! I would love to see the cook if you end up doing this. Good luck and I'm subscribed in!:-D

I have done a few in an Alto Sham cook and hold cabinet. I did mine standing straight up, it has been awhile and I do not remember the temperature sequence, I followed the Alto Sham instructions for time and temp, but I do remember putting it in right after lunch service, which would have been about 2 so it would be ready for the next day lunch which started at 11:30, and it had about an hours rest before carving so it came out about 10:30, med rare only, anymore than that and it becomes very tough.

I do remember using a boning knife and making straight in cuts at different depths and pushing whole peeled garlic cloves in the cuts, they were usually about 60 pound steamships and I would put about 16-20 garlic cloves in and then just a sea salt and pepper rub on it.

They are delicious, I always liked doing the carving and you really could see the structure of the meat. I was always amazed that the garlic would stay whole and when you would carve just a little flick of the knife and they would fall to the carving board. Many liked to have a clove or two to add to their meat.

I always trimmed the rest when lunch service was over and would make vegetable beef soup the next day. The bones are amazing, I have English Mastiff's and they always got the bone.

I haven't heard anyone talk about a steamship round in decades. I admire you for taking it on. It's definitely meant for a LARGE group of healthy eaters. As I recall, you typically offer a choice of au jus or horseradish sauce to accompany. I also recall that the quarter was hung in a cooler for an extended time before the round was taken. Between the fat cap on the outside, and the bone on the inside, it should be great!!!

I can ask a friend of mine. He orders & cooks a corned Steamship round every year at his bar for St. Patrick's day. Always comes out fantastic. I go there every year just for the corned beef.

I can't offer any advise on how you should cook that monster .... but -, when you decide to cook that thing, keep in mind ... I live just down the road (near Starke) and work in Jax regularly.

From my friend who cooks a corned one every year at his bar for St. Pats:

"First put your rub on it, let it sit out at room temp, at least 2 hrs, I roast it at 300 for approximately 14 hrs that should give you a nice medium rare. Good luck, you must have a big smoker!! Anything else let me know.

The steamships I roast are at least 80lbs"

Last edited:
Never saw a bone in roast like that, would be great at a Viking feast! closest thing around "here" would be a whole top round that's cut thin at a buffet, med, med rare.

I can't offer any advise on how you should cook that monster .... but -, when you decide to cook that thing, keep in mind ... I live just down the road (near Starke) and work in Jax regularly.

Haha ...will do.

I'm still searching for the right party to do this. I have a couple in mind though.

thanks for all the advice folks!

Back