MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
skwerlee
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Too early to rub??

I have two pork shoulders going on the pit at daybreak tomorrow morning. When I need to get an early start I like to do as much prep work as I can the night before. It is too early to rub them down with my bbq rub tonight? Would that have an adverse effect?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

The general complaint is a "hamy" flavor if you have too much salt in your rub.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Unless your rub has loads of salt you'll be fine rubbing it tonight. I rub and inject my butts the night before all the time with good results.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I've never been a fan of the early application of rub method.
Even when I competed I put the rub on minutes before the butts hit the pit.
Not saying early application is wrong, mind you. I would just get up earlier and rub them in the morning.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

When I use my own rub...... I leave out all the salt and rub it down days before with olive oil or White BBQ sauce. And then add a little salt before smoking....... Or if you have a rub low in salt I rub days before. I am not much for salt. Never had a hammy flavor..... Of course not much salt. Ribs I do the same. So I would say go for it.,..... My method gets you layers of flavor in ribs.....
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Your good to go, if it was ribs I'd be a little worried about salt causing hammy taste, but the butt has a lot of meat and when pulled you'll never have that issue.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
skwerlee
Knows what a fatty is.

I opted to rub em down this morning before throwing them on the pit.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I think you made the better decision. I usually do all of my prep the night before and rub while the cooker is getting up to temp on cook day.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
wormy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
I think you made the better decision. I usually do all of my prep the night before and rub while the cooker is getting up to temp on cook day.
^^^^^^^

This what I do as well with great resuits every time.

Good luck with the cook
wormy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
cueball21
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bob, aka, Uncle

I generally prep and rub pork butts/shoulders the night before I plan to smoke them and keep then in the reefer overnight.

On occasions, I've not been able to smoke them the next day (bad weather, family emergencies, whatever) and left them in the reefer for up to 3 days without ill effect. I wouldn't advise that as a rule, but it certainly didn't harm the pork.
“We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their CREATOR with certain UNALIENABLE RIGHTS, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of HappinessThat to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their JUST Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the RIGHT of the People to alter or to abolish it and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.” . . . -2nd paragraph, US Declaration of Independence

Now you know 'the thing.'

Bob's yer uncle!
cueball21 is offline   Reply With Quote