• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Outdoor cook shack question

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have the chance to but a lifetime brand 8 x 10 outdoor plastic shed for $500. I want to turn it to a cook shack. I have an lsg vertical cabinet and it doesn't get all that hot to touch. I would like to be able to cook inside it without melting it. I am trying to get ideas of ways to do an exhaustive through the roof. I am going to check at lowes today to see what kind of options they have. I also found some 4x6 3/4 inch rubber mats I was going to put down on the floor to protect it from fallen charcoal. It will be close to a faucet, and was going to plumb water into it and put an outdoor sink in it. Anyone see any major issues with attempting this? I don't think the exhaust would get hot enough to melt the plastic or the smoker would radiate heat enough to cause damage to the shed itself. I know it will get hot in the shed during the summer, but I could leave the doors open while cooking and remove some of the sky lights to allow heat to escape. Thanks.

I like your ingenuity, but to be blunt, heat plus plastic equal disaster. I spent a bunch of years investigating fires for a living, so its a little more than a gut reaction. Without going into all the scientific stuff, you can go a long time without a problem. In the meantime, the plastic will be drying, become more brittle, and then one day you get hit with a perfect storm. IMHO, avoid that combination at all costs.

I am open to ideas here. What kind of 3 sided wood structure are we talking about here? I would like something to cook under to keep it out of the rain and wind. The rain is the biggest problem.

I did buy a metal one from Wally World for $300 that I used with my Stump's smoker that worked great and if he rain was blowing sideway I just bungie corded a tarp on one side .

Last edited:
I like your ingenuity, but to be blunt, heat plus plastic equal disaster. I spent a bunch of years investigating fires for a living, so its a little more than a gut reaction. Without going into all the scientific stuff, you can go a long time without a problem. In the meantime, the plastic will be drying, become more brittle, and then one day you get hit with a perfect storm. IMHO, avoid that combination at all costs.

:thumb:

Back