MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Would you support later turn-in times at contests?
yes, no problem 10 14.93%
no, not at all 49 73.13%
don't know 8 11.94%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Default Later turn-in times at contests

Some talk is being generated about having later turn-in times at contests and having the awards taking place in the evening on Saturday. I for one like breaking down after turn-ins on Saturday and getting the awards overwith so I can get home and recouperate from a long and usually very hot two days. I unload on Saturday night and shower and then it is sleep and rest and a couple small chores on Sunday after Church. I don't have the comfort of a RV at contests so I can stay cool and sleep in a bed so I look forward to getting to the house as soon as possible which is usually a 1-3 hour drive.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Why not? I enjoy sitting in the blazing heat while the band plays on. OK i will go to my room now
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

There are a couple important reasons organizers are looking at later turn-in times(or knock down/exit times). I agree with wanting to get home and go to sleep, but i was enlightened this weekend as to why thats not always going to happen. I believe, not 100% sure, but think its not the later turn in that they are doing, but adjusting the end time of the contest. Would it be the same saying turnins are at 12-2, but awards dont start until 6-8PM?

1 - Safety.
Usually, awards run around 4-5 O'Clock.. which at the busier events, is prime time for crowds.. and/or earlier crowds like to hang around to see the awards.

When teams start breaking down and driving rigs out of fairgrounds or parking lots with hundreds if not thousands of people wandering around it causes and obvious safety hazard for those walking around. Event officials may lay down the law and not allow cars into or to leave the fair grounds when it is open to the public. Some towns and venues will NOT allow events to permit cars/trucks onto the grounds when it is still open to the public. Thats one reason organizers will not allow cars to stay at the sites, or allow them to return to the sites to hitch up and drive away.

2 - Crowd/spectator shows.
Most contests are not in place to line any individuals pocket with $$, but usually have some form of charity or benefactor.. ie rotary, KoC, etc. They are there to make money, and lets face it.. WE(the teams) are not the main source of revenue for the event. The sponsors are, and the crowds are. If a festival, car show, bazaar, whatever has a BBQ contest as one part of the draw, people expect to see us there. On the same token, if a band is playing at 6-8, people start arriving around 4-6.. which is smack dab during the awards. Now, 2 things happen. 1 - again, the safety hazard is there with huge rigs trying to make it thru the crowd..

and 2 - If we are all gone by 6, the crowd, which again is the primary source of income comes to an empty lot and piles of ash. If thats the case, they will not return the next year, and without the crowds, the sponsors don't get exposure. Without the sponsors, there are no events..

Organizers and promoters would prefer to give the crowds something to see and also keep the sponsors happy.. and we, the competitors, are part of the show.

Consider how all these are intertwined, the base event(carnival, car show, bands playing, etc).. , the sponsors, the crowds, and us.. There are so many things to look out for, and consider when putting together events.. its is not for the meek.. What I learned this weekend at KCBS is that what we see as competitors are a very very VERY small part of the big picture.

These are NOT the sole reasons.. dont take it as gospel.. its what I learned at KCBS this weekend from talking to many people, and having a few meetings and may be just my interpertations. Hopefully some tof the experts will chime in too. But I believe these are just a couple reasons we may see later turn-in times at some events.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would be jsut fine with it. I wouldn't have to burn a vacation day at work to take Friday off, I could arrive Friday night and set up. I wouldn't have to stay Saturday night either, just go home, and still have Sunday to unwind. Of course, being in KC means I have nearby comps so there is no long drive home for me. I'm sure for those with long drives it would make a difference, but not for me. The way I see it, I will either spend 1.5 days in the heat (all Friday and half Saturday), or 1.5 days in the heat (Friday PM and all Saturday). That's just me however, one size does not fit all. And I'm still so comp green my opinion should probably be divided into a fraction.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Poobah,

I understand what you are saying and to some degree agree but what is not being considered is that alot of the contests here and in New England are Saturday and Sunday events. I for one would not like to be held hostage until 8:00 Sunday Night before I can leave for home. Especially when I have to return to work on Monday. While this may work on a Saturday, I don't think it works on a Sunday.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

I hear that about the New England contests. I also know that some of the events up here simply state in the packet that you may not leave your vehicle on site AT ALL, and still others say that you will be stuck there for the duration. The bottom line ... it is up to each organizer.

As long as it is known ahead of time, the teams can then make the decision to cook an event or not.

I also attended those meetings and the reasons FOR were very important...safety first.
lunchlady
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
chad

Safety can be an issue, but nearly every event we go to sets a no-earlier-than departure time -- and should enforce the no vehicle or no vehicle movement rules that are already in place.

Shifting cook schedules is no big deal. Holding teams hostage for the "public" is foolish -- teams that schmooze the public do so already...those that don't won't, even if held on-site longer.

All teams start cleanup and teardown following turn-ins. Especially with small teams this time is valuable before we crash and burn.

Each event can and should be allowed to make it's own decision regarding turnins and departure rules...it sounds like there may be valid reasons up in the NE for later turnins...but this should be clearly articulated in the packages and rules sessions...

As a general wide-ranging change I wouldn't support it. If I'm close enough to get home that night I want to LEAVE after awards or right on the "allowed to move" time.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Seems to me that people generally want to get results, pack up and get the fark home. It's not like most of the competitors live around the corner.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

If I live more than a couple hours from home... I am going to sleep over anyway. Having said that - Many of the venues don't allow you to keep your spot until Sunday. If it is a city street - you have to be packed up by 6-7pm to open the road. For campgroungs - many want to charge you additional for Sat. evening.

I think if they want to change the times too much, they would need to look at the impact for the cookers - and insure it isnt going to cost them too much more in time and money to make the change. If it does, you could lose alot of your teams, just due to that. Or you will cause more accidents - you get a tired group of folks, and make them go home later - after dark in some instances - and you will see more accidents from tired folk. Later times are ok - you just have to look at the ramifications for changing them.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

first, i think i better clarify, that the discussion I was part of were just bringing up some issues and problems and solutions that arose during this past season for a few organizers. It was more of a horse and pony show about a few events. Some of which had big name bands and tremendous crowds. IT WAS NOT A DISCUSSION OF CHANGING ANY RULES OR REGULATIONS. It was "heres what happened and heres what I did".. that is all.

anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife
Or you will cause more accidents - you get a tired group of folks, and make them go home later - after dark in some instances - and you will see more accidents from tired folk. Later times are ok - you just have to look at the ramifications for changing them.
Now thats MY biggest concern for a later turn-in/exit times. After a contest, I am shot.. can hardly stand up and the worse thing is trying to stay awake for a 5 hour drive home with a trailer flinging around the back of the truck. I wouldnt mind a later turn-in if it didnt take them 2-3 hours to tabulate results, but sending me on my way at 7-8 oclock, unless i get to sleep some, is gonna make me a hazard.. ok for a saturday where we can get a hotel, but like sawdust says, for a sunday contest, that will present a problem.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Phil - I have to agree. We always stop or stay if it is going to be a long drive. Too much precious cargo to risk makin it home. Not to mention taking out a lane of traffic with 32' of trailer weighing 10,000lbs.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Tough call. Most of our contests are with in an hour of the house, so It wouldn't be a big deal. I have to agree with the Saturday visitors wanting to see all of the teams. It's a coin toss for me.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

I'm against it for the same fatigue factor. I'm farkin BEAT by the time we're packed up and all I want to do is hit the road and get the hell home.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

So if turn in is done at 7pm and Im cooking a brisket for 12 hrs it has to go on at 7am. I need a couple hrs to prep it. Thats 5 am. But if I want to absorb flavor. OK thats 2 am. I got to set up my stuff. Midnight. Damn wish that contest would have started on Friday. Plus the award ceromony wouldnt start until midnight at larger events. keep it that same.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Bigjim4x
On the road to being a farker

I know i want to get it over with!
Bigjim4x is offline   Reply With Quote