Pellicle = OWT?

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK so I've done pellicles on salmon and on bacon. Hang in a well-ventilated place for a few hours until the surface gets a little sticky. etc. etc.

But so what? That's exactly what is happening right now to the pork bellies I hung for cold smoking this morning. And that's what happens when I hot- or cold- smoke salmon. So why screw around? Just put the food in the smoker!

Maybe it's an issue for higher temperature smoke? My "hot" smoking is 225deg or lower.

I've butchered a lot of hogs and have made a lot of bacon. As long as the meat is dry, it smokes just fine. I cold smoke at 85F and below. Wet meat can make the smoke streak.

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
It just makes the surface more receptive to smoke. In the old days, it was thought to aid in moisture retention. I do believe that it aids in holding on to rub. For that reason, I do tend to let my ribs sit with rub on racks before cooking.

It just makes the surface more receptive to smoke. In the old days, it was thought to aid in moisture retention. I do believe that it aids in holding on to rub. For that reason, I do tend to let my ribs sit with rub on racks before cooking.
I understand the argument though I don't know if it's true or not.

My point was that we get the same surface aka pellicle after a half hour or an hour in the smoker, so what's the point of fussing about it ahead of time?

I just dry up the real wet spots with paper towels and into the smoker it goes, it dries just fine in there, :mrgreen:

Never had streaks, or any other bad result, the bacon takes the smoke just as good as pre drying it.

I always let my bellies dry for a day to get rid of the moisture, it definitely lets the smoke absorb better doing a cold smoke. I'm not a fan of hot smoking bacon, might as well just fry it straight out of the cure.

if you want to get a pellicle! after the cure put them on racks and di
rect a fan on them for about 8 hs! then cold smoke!

So ... no one is arguing that "forming a pellicle" is necessary prior to smoking. I'll assume OWT, then.

I'm not sure how you got I was saying that, quite to the contrary my experience is that it is for bacon.

SGH and Jeanie I usually do at least one or two a year for the freezer and to give to my sons and friends. I make my own bacon just like you guys do.

I'd suggest you do one with and without and let us know how it turns out airedale.

I'm not sure how you got I was saying that, quite to the contrary my experience is that it is for bacon.

Brother Norm, I always let the whole carcasses hang for 24-48 hours. Then as the meat comes off of the carcass, it goes straight into the smokehouse for a good 7-8 day cold smoke.

Last edited:
I actually have no idea if it matters or not. I've never looked up the science. It's what I was taught.

And let's be honest here, much of what I do with BBQ is not scientific in terms of proof. I'm the first to admit I don't really KNOW what I'm doing. But, I've been "doing it" for 45 years and get decent results.

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
I actually have no idea if it matters or not. I've never looked up the science. It's what I was taught.

And let's be honest here, much of what I do with BBQ is not scientific in terms of proof. I'm the first to admit I don't really KNOW what I'm doing. But, I've been "doing it" for 45 years and get decent results.

I have to agree with all of the above 100%. Be it right or wrong, I still do what my grandfather taught me decades ago. The science be damned.

Back