Where do you guys empty your water pan?

Neuro

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I am struggling with where to dump my greasy/meaty/cheesy etc... Water pan from my WMS. Where do you guys dump it?

Can I dump it down the garage sink? I have been dumping it in a dirt area in the backyard.

or put cooled ash in trash bag and pour on top of ash. or keep a metal bucket for Hot ash and pour on top, then dump ash next day or two in trash bag.

Over the side of the deck/hill when I have a dirty one...

Let's see how long this lasts... :p

I use to use an old cat litter pail. When it gets full the whole deal goes in the trash.

Probably the biggest reason folks dont use water here

With my backwoods when I using the water pan I dump the ashes into a full aluminum pan and then dump the water over it. Wait for it to cool and then into the trash outside. But I have some woods out the back of the house and the water is easy to dump in there too.

I don't use the water pan in the WSM, ditched it for a clay saucer, the WSM burns charcoal more efficiently without water using less charcoal during a cook and I don't have any problems with temperature control. I don't believe you get better results with using water during a cook and my cleanup is lifting a piece of HD Foil and replacing it with another piece.

Water pans are nasty- well- not the pans themselves. My cookers are basically UDS's (3 different sizes) so I don't have to deal with the yucky results. IF I had to though, I think I'd do the ash or cat litter absorb, plastic bag and sneak it into the neighbor's trash. :-D

I only use water about 1/4 of the time in my LSG but when I do I dump it out on my fence/woods line.

While I don't have a WSM, I do use a water pan. I also use a full size hotel pan as a drip pan to keep the water pan nice and clean. I use a shovel and remove a chunk of grass, make a hole, dump the drippings in. After a minute they are absorbed into the dirt, fill the hole and replace the grass. No one would ever know, no brown spots, just rich green grass. Rinse the drip pan and it's ready for another use. When I have a dirty drip pan that won't rinse clean, I just toss it and start over.

Last edited:
I try to use only as much water as it takes to complete the cook, sometimes i guess better than others.

Using a full size, aluminum hotel pan to line my Backwoods water pan, I let it cool, skim the fat and put the congealed fat in a plastic bag & toss. Then carry what's left to the nearest crapper, potty, toilet or commode... dump and flush.

I try to use only as much water as it takes to complete the cook, sometimes i guess better than others.

Using a full size, aluminum hotel pan to line my Backwoods water pan, I let it cool, skim the fat and put the congealed fat in a plastic bag & toss. Then carry what's left to the nearest crapper, potty, toilet or commode... dump and flush.

hah, nice, the toilet. I didn't think of that.

Back