Gathering Info for Next CL Unicorn: Hobart - or Berkel - Slicer

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So after years of watching CL for a good deal on a Ranch Kettle, I snagged 2 in a week. :shocked: I'm pretty dang set on cookers for now & it's time for a new and different score. I figured I'd start doing the long, patient look for a good slicer and from what I understand Hobart is the way to go. What are good models for light to medium household use (i.e. I don't need automatic) and what are decent used prices for those models? I've done a little bit of looking and it looks like these things hold value pretty well. I have a 10" Chef's Choice which gets the job done, but it's kinda small, esp. when slicing bacon. It'll do until I find a great deal on my "forever slicer".

Interested in hearing y'all's thoughts on slicers - thanks!

Last edited:
Greg,

Hobarts are nice but don't sleep on Berkels if you come across one. I scored this baby, a Berkel 827e 12" blade for $400 and it retails for $1200. It was hardly used and even came with the manual. I've come across ones that were heavily used for way more.

ltvcUarh.png

YzqVaOAh.png

^^^exactly the type of info I'm looking for - thanks Sako!

If you ever wanna trade that for a Ranch Kettle...:twisted:

Damn, Sako!

That is a sweet slicer! Looks like you've never used it. Send it my way for a good break in period!:becky:

^^^exactly the type of info I'm looking for - thanks Sako!

If you ever wanna trade that for a Ranch Kettle...:twisted:

:becky: No deal! It's an awesome piece of equipment and I use it quite often. I was on a hunt for a while and it finally paid off. Funny thing is one of the brethren made a IIRC $550 offer a week or so before me and the guy refused but he let it go to me for $400. :noidea: :mrgreen:

Slices thick or paper thin with no waste. I don't miss the struggle with the cheap one I had prior to owning this thing.

BTW Greg, this one also slices cheese. I know some are not capable of it so something to keep in mind when you're looking.

liMALVGl.png

n3QG6l2l.png

in my opinion, having owned both, the Berkel is easier to disassemble and clean than my Hobart was.

Never owned a Hobart but Madman's experience doesn't lie. Easy to disassemble and clean.

Damn, Sako!

That is a sweet slicer! Looks like you've never used it. Send it my way for a good break in period!:becky:

Lol, Thanks Pat! The guy bought it to slice chicken pieces or something and said it didn't work for him. Obviously it wouldn't since it's not intended for that but I certainly appreciate the discount I got out of the deal. :clap2:

I hit on a Hobart 1612 slicer almost two years ago on CL. $150 driveout. The gauge plate was stuck (common problem among a lot of older slicers) Judicious use of a propane torch and dead blow hammer got it loosened up. It's been a workhorse for the last 2 years, with me doing at least a 100 pounds of bacon a month. It even came with the original sharpener.

I stole this baby for like $300...deli that went out of business. I would HIGHLY recommend getting one. Yeah it's a little bit of a pain in the ass to clean, but she will slice just about everything either paper thin or the thickest of thick cut bacon you can imagine....

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I'll keep an eye on this one...... I've dreamt of getting a Hobart or similar for a very long time. Between the price and the room it takes to store one, I've never pulled the trigger. I've seen a few used ones in various places, but never at a good price.
I have a "cheapo" (Waring Pro), but it doesn't work very well and is a true PITA to clean. I love to thin slice my left over Tri tip for Sammies, but I hesitate to pull out the slicer for the above reasons. and it's just not the same with a knife.

Good luck!

Good luck Greg... I'm calling dibs on the 2nd slicer you find!!!

• Thanks
^^^Oh dive right in! After scoring 2 RK's in a week, I gotta lay low for a bit. My wife is really cool & I wanna keep it that way! Plus the math doesn't work at the moment! :oops:

Love my Hobart, it's all we used when I worked in restaurants.

i-wM6BBTk-XL.jpg

I've had this one for 10 years and works like new, only downside is it's heavy!

• Thanks
I agree that Hobart or Berkel are both great. Make sure it's complete, and the sharpener is on there.

• Thanks
Back