Need help on smoking my 1st hog...

lwdbo1

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Im diving right in. Had the Shirley home for a couple of weeks now and want to smoke my 1st hog on the Labor Day weekend.

Im thinking about a 50-60 #er or so... Will be cooking it racer style on the 24x70 rf smoker

Some qstns are...

Do i inject it ?
Season it ?
Cook at what temp ?
Fill the carcass with anything?
Approx how long to u think it would take to cook ?
etc...

or maybe somebody can share a link with me that has all the info i will need.

Thanks in advance and any and all info is and will be greatly appreciated !!!

That is a small pig.
In rural Virginia we would not inject.
Not stuff.
Season with Salt and pepper.
Cook at 275 to 325 apx.
Cook until leg bones pull free.
Mop with vinegar, butter and cayenne pepper.
It will cook faster than you think.
Watch the grease!

Later,
Doug

Last edited:
While this pig is bigger than yours will be...there are some things that in my opinion will be the same.

Do i inject it ?----not necessary. Every pig I've done has been plenty moist. They don't dry out especially with all the bones and fat in them.

Season it ? ----I put olive oil on the skin...that's about it. Whole hog has a great flavor all on it's own.

Cook at what temp ? ----I cook mine at about 275 but it does bounce around a bit. What you want to do is watch for the nose, ears, and feet getting too dark. When that starts to happen, just put some foil on them.

Fill the carcass with anything?----Not necessary unless you think you'll need more meat than what the hog will give you.

Approx how long to u think it would take to cook ?---about an hour per 10lbs....

Last edited:
That is a small pig.
In rural Virginia we would not inject.
Not stuff.
Season with Salt and pepper.
Cook at 275 to 325 apx.
Cook until leg bones pull free.
Mop with vinegar, butter and cayenne pepper.
It will cook faster than you think.
Watch the grease!

Later,
Doug

Yes its a smaller pig.. For 2 reason...There will be a ton of food where i am going and also if i screw up on my 1st go round at least it wont hit my pocket as hard as my pride :becky:

Can u elaborate on the moping a lil more... Mop before, during and after , or?

Viking72 ??/ That wouldnt have any reference to my Minnesota Purple People Eaters would it ??:laugh:

While this pig is bigger than yours will be...there are some things that in my opinion will be the same.

Do i inject it ?----not necessary. Every pig I've done has been plenty moist. They don't dry out especially with all the bones and fat in them.

Season it ? ----I put olive oil on the skin...that's about it. Whole hog has a great flavor all on it's own.

Cook at what temp ? ----I cook mine at about 275 but it does bounce around a bit. What you want to do is watch for the nose, ears, and feet getting too dark. When that starts to happen, just put some foil on them.

Fill the carcass with anything?----Not necessary unless you think you'll need more meat than what the hog will give you.

Approx how long to u think it would take to cook ?---about an hour per 10lbs....

Seems easy and simple.... Some times less is more, like they say... Thanks !!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232562

Here's mine on the shirley. It is easy peasy, brother. I put a couple cabbage heads in the cavity under the tenderloins. Helped keep them moist, and it also helped keep the hog in shape, as your backbone will slouch bad in racer style if you're not holding it up with something..

Here's mine on the shirley. It is easy peasy, brother. I put a couple cabbage heads in the cavity under the tenderloins. Helped keep them moist, and it also helped keep the hog in shape, as your backbone will slouch bad in racer style if you're not holding it up with something..

Plus,that cabbage tastes pretty damn good too. Especially the charred bits.

Wow.. It looks like u knocked it out of the park on ur 1st hog cook. Petunia looked delicious!
Chris lillys and cabbage sounds like the way to. Ill also be making that sauce to !!
Thanks alot !!!

Wow.. It looks like u knocked it out of the park on ur 1st hog cook. Petunia looked delicious!
Chris lillys and cabbage sounds like the way to. Ill also be making that sauce to !!
Thanks alot !!!

If you make the Chris Lily injection, I halved the salt, as most people do when they make it... Its way too much salt otherwise. Good Luck!

I love this place!!!! I am a lurker and steal all of your ideas..... Thx!!!!!!.....:)

Back