Is Aging Brisket

I thought about this too a while ago but from what I've read it's not worth aging a brisket because it would loose too much moisture during the aging process. But I would buy a second fridge for aging steaks if I had the space for it.

Go buy yourself a small chest freezer and one of these.......[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58/ref=pd_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=21m4rDi75PL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=WAGV2G7KDRY046Q8CT37"]Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller: Beer Keg Systems: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

You now have a wet aging fridge that you can also use as a freezer when you need it. :-D

It's always nice for your meat to have its own special place.

Craigslist

I don't have a special meat only fridge, but I do have a beer fridge that is used almost exclusively for BBQ stuff (storing meat, sauces, etc). I think the key to a wet aging fridge is that you don't open and close it all the time.

Wet aging makes a big difference on brisket. Steaks too.
I've never dry aged my own steaks, and I don't know about a dry aged brisket.

I don't think I could do it without a second fridge. Id consider the second fridge on the essential list

I've dry aged whole prime ribs and it makes a world of difference. We wet aged our brisket this go around and I didn't notice a big difference, but I have a small sample size (one).

If you start dry aging steak or wet aging brisket I would recommend doing as much research as possible on the process. It can lead to a very expensive failed experiment if the conditions aren't correct.

Last edited:
I aged a prime Costco brisket for 30 days. I won't do that again. The taste was unpleasant.

We have three fridges and a full size freezer. Still have trouble with room sometimes.

We have three fridges and a full size freezer. Still have trouble with room sometimes.

Ha! I thought I was the only one. Had the exact same setup and I thought many time what the heck I would do with only 1 fridge :crazy:. We did just move and I only now have room in my smaller garage for my vertical freezer and one additional fridge and so far it is working. But I could make room for a smaller fridge in there if needed.

But to the OP I did wet age choice brisket when we were competing a lot and very much believe it makes a difference. It may only be incremental, but in events the increments count. I liked going 45days minimum and 60 max. It's another fun thing to play with in BBQ and see what you like :clap2:

Ha! I thought I was the only one. Had the exact same setup and I thought many time what the heck I would do with only 1 fridge :crazy:. We did just move and I only now have room in my smaller garage for my vertical freezer and one additional fridge and so far it is working. But I could make room for a smaller fridge in there if needed.

Yeah, between my beer, my BBQ stuff, and all the wife's Korean *stuff* she gets from the Asian Market, we couldn't get by with less any more. I need to quit buying BBQ meats, but I keep seeing them on sale...

As for aging briskets, I'm not wise enough to tell the difference yet. One day I'll try to age one for longer than a week...

I have done dry aged prime brisket a number of times, but would not suggest it. I wouldn't suggest dry aging anything except hot and fast direct cooks. Low and slow you have to cook too long and think it has already lost too much moisture. You could probably change way you cook and wrap sooner or foil with broth to compensate. But I generally butcher paper wrap for just a few hours at end of cook in offset stick burner. We have a local butcher that does whole animals and even hung beef struggle with. I seem to remember the Franklin bbq book talking about this topic in the picking your meat section.'I like wet aging as Jason describes but struggle to plan that far ahead.

Back