MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Mrs B bought a Acorn cooker....I told her we didn't need it

she said "I don't know who you are right now" I said ok get it. it was $199 wal mart sale WTF? if you have any advice it would be appreciated, techniques, mods any and all.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If your wife says you need it, then you need it. Never contradict the boss. Hope you enjoy it!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Tom, you're right, you don't need it. Leave it in the box and bring it to me in September when we have the bash, and I will dispose of it properly for you.

But seriously, there's quite a few of our members here who have them and really like them. I'm sure some will chime in, but the two things that stood out for me is they can get hot really fast, and some folks have had to do some mods to leak proof the lower vent.
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
Hillbilly BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook on one at the beach all the time...no mods at all. Super efficient and IMO, probably the best cooker for $200 your going to find. I cook steaks at 700*, cook ribs/butts/etc at 275-300....piece of cake.

The downsides are, you have to close the vents down almost all the way to keep the thing from climbing up over 300. The grates are cast iron, be careful on how you set them down, I cracked the middle one the second time I used it.

I bought the heat diffuser plate and the cover for it. Mine came with the second rack that has turned out to be handy.

Start with a smaller fire in there, add a few chunks of some wood to it and let it do its thing. It doesnt need much fuel, dont be surprised when you use the coals over and over.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236146"]Chain Smoker First Cook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237201"]Chain Smoker Finished[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239204"]Meet the Bumpkin[/URL]
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/hillbillybbqva"]Facebook: HillBillyBBQVA[/URL]
[URL="https://twitter.com/HillbillyBBQVa"]Twitter: @HillbillyBBQVA[/URL]
Hillbilly BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I really like my Akorn. Treat it like any Kamado and start small fires and catch the temp going up about 50* from target. You have to shut the vents almost all the way down. Most of the stock vents are leaky. So it could probably do with better sealing there. I had no problems with the lid gasket leaking. I also like the smoking stone but a Weber charcoal grate and Walmart pizza pan work well. I do want to make a charcoal basket for it.

For smoking mine likes to run 300-320. My favorite things to cook on it is chicken and pizza. If you get one of those round brinkmann pizza stones it fits in the top rack pretty well and makes a perfect place to bake some pies.

Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

They are a great bit of kit,I use both of ours a lot.
As mentioned the heat can get away on you if your not careful
Seared steaks ,lid down with a very hot fire,no deflecter, awesome

Old 08-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Single Malt Slacker
On the road to being a farker

I love my Akorn. Great pit for the price. There's plenty of info on this site on other's experience and tips. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Here's a few shots of mine at work.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
Hillbilly BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is also a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160102_191143.jpg (58.2 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 20160205_185003.jpg (67.6 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg 20160206_185812.jpg (53.5 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 20160102_154400.jpg (65.3 KB, 330 views)
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236146"]Chain Smoker First Cook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237201"]Chain Smoker Finished[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239204"]Meet the Bumpkin[/URL]
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/hillbillybbqva"]Facebook: HillBillyBBQVA[/URL]
[URL="https://twitter.com/HillbillyBBQVa"]Twitter: @HillbillyBBQVA[/URL]
Hillbilly BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
smoke ninja

I like mine. Very versatile but i tend not to smoke much on it, more for grill type cooking.

Its heavily modded.

Basket:

Lower grate:

Upper grate, custom stainless steel by ebijack

Pizza pan diffuser

Custom intake

All mods were done by the original owner the brethrens own Ebijack.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Tom, you're right, you don't need it. Leave it in the box and bring it to me in September when we have the bash, and I will dispose of it properly for you.

But seriously, there's quite a few of our members here who have them and really like them. I'm sure some will chime in, but the two things that stood out for me is they can get hot really fast, and some folks have had to do some mods to leak proof the lower vent.
thanks Moose but I think we will play with it a bit.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
tom b

Thanks for all the pictures and tips guys.

What size is that basket Ninja? Oh and pizza stone too?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
tom b

So I fire it up yesterday afternoon, Caught it on the way up and got it to run around 300 and hold that pretty good. headed to the bar for a bit. when I got back the temp was about 275 the plan was to break it in with a fatty but was running short on time so I just grilled up some pork sausage patties for a little break in, then I opened it up a little got it running about 400 and Mrs B grilled some shrimp for a shrimp cocktail. Opened it up a little more and then a couple if pizzas.

pictures suck but the food was good. I think she will like this cooker, It is really for her but I'm sure Ill put it to work some too.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
Fwismoker

I hope you get some good use out of it Tom. I almost got one a while back but realized that other cookers I have does what it does. If anything I have to thin out the herd but probably never will....The non used cookers are in "moth balled" If you're familiar with the saying.

The most important thing is getting use out of a cooker...I hated seeing mine not get used which is why they are in storage.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Thanks for all the pictures and tips guys.

What size is that basket Ninja? Oh and pizza stone too?
Not sure the exact size, Ebi would know since he built it. I think the base is just the stock charcoal grate.

The lower grate is a weber charcoal grate for a 22. I think the pizza pan is 16 or 17 inches, id prefer smaller.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I hope you get some good use out of it Tom. I almost got one a while back but realized that other cookers I have does what it does. If anything I have to thin out the herd but probably never will....The non used cookers are in "moth balled" If you're familiar with the saying.

The most important thing is getting use out of a cooker...I hated seeing mine not get used which is why they are in storage.
Thanks Keith, I really tried to talk her out of it but she wasn't going for that. I have to many cookers already but oh what the heck