MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
SteveKing
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Lockhart Style Pit

Does anyone know how these pits are built exactly? Pictures show little as far as drafting and everything
[I][B]Creator of "[URL="http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61926-Brand-New-Damper-Design-quot-The-Micro-Damper-quot"]The MicroDamper[/URL]"[/B][/I] (used with the [URL="https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller"]HeaterMeter[/URL] BBQ Pit Controller)
[I][B]---[/B]first and only inline & linear operating damper system
[B]---[/B]designed by an engineer
[B]---open source! support those who share openly & freely![/B][/I]
[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]I build HeaterMeters too![/COLOR]

KCBS Member
[/B][B]Member of[/B] [B][COLOR=red]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black]*22.5 Performer* *Bandera* *22.5 WSM* *UDS* *Akorn* *Blackstone Patio Oven*[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black] *Blackstone Griddle*[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR]
SteveKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

I'm assuming you're talking about the brick pits with fire on the floor? They go up into chimneys. You can see the soot in this picture of Smitty's

http://www.tmbbq.com/wp-content/uplo...es-Smittys.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=139025

Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
SteveKing
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd really like to see a diagram drawn up, because there is a good draw on the (open firebox) fire anytime I've been or seen photos
[I][B]Creator of "[URL="http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61926-Brand-New-Damper-Design-quot-The-Micro-Damper-quot"]The MicroDamper[/URL]"[/B][/I] (used with the [URL="https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller"]HeaterMeter[/URL] BBQ Pit Controller)
[I][B]---[/B]first and only inline & linear operating damper system
[B]---[/B]designed by an engineer
[B]---open source! support those who share openly & freely![/B][/I]
[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]I build HeaterMeters too![/COLOR]

KCBS Member
[/B][B]Member of[/B] [B][COLOR=red]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black]*22.5 Performer* *Bandera* *22.5 WSM* *UDS* *Akorn* *Blackstone Patio Oven*[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black] *Blackstone Griddle*[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR]
SteveKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
J.W.Land
Knows what a fatty is.

When I was a child all bbq in GA was cooked over an open flame either in a brick pit or rarely one in the ground. Most did not have a chimney but were open on three sides and coals from a separate fire would be added as needed. Cooking rate of food was adjusted by moving food to cooler or hotter areas over the fire. Nearly all cooking was of pork, either butts, ribs, or whole hogs, some folks would cook chicken halves as well. Nearly all food was cooked using oak, hickory, or a combination thereof.

http://gizmodo.com/5987009/the-easy-...-your-backyard

Last edited by J.W.Land; 08-05-2016 at 04:01 PM..
J.W.Land is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

They're fairly simple... The draw from the chimney is powerful enough to bring the heat and smoke into the chamber. Louie Mueller has the brick pits but I think he moved his fire to where it's covered.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Texan79423
Full Fledged Farker

People complain about the cost of "real" BBQ. Just look at the size of that fire and the cords and cords of wood stacked out back. Real deal BBQ cost big $$$

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Those are amazing pits Steve and I've only ever seen pics of them!

I want to make a pilgrimage down there some day and eat the food off of those pits!

If you really had a notion to build one of those pots you could actually blow up pics and count bricks then scale it down to a backyard size.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
GroundChunk
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been to Kreuz quite a few times. The pits are different than the big tall one at Mueller's I saw. At Kreuz, they are long brick rectangles. They're about three to four feet tall at most and about the same deep. They have large rectangular pieces of plate metal that are the doors/lids (maybe four to six feet long) and they are counterweighted by a cable run thru a pulley which is attached to the counter weight. The fire boxes are surprisingly small open ended rectangles (maybe two feet by three feet by three feet). The exhaust is just a large brick chimney.

To my knowledge these pits must be grandfathered in to be legal in the state of TX for businesses. House Park BBQ in Austin has the oldest pits in Austin city limits. If you google them you'll see similarly styled pits on a smaller scale. Pretty cool stuff.
GroundChunk is offline   Reply With Quote