MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Mt.man511
Got Wood.

Default Steam coming out the stack

New to all of this so i have a question i have been searching for a insulated vertical smoker i found one i fell in love with it is a custom build and a one of a kind and i'm a sucker for something different.
He calls it Goldilocks and he has 19 videos of the build and can be found by google, Goldilocks smoker.

Now to the point we had reached an agreed price but in watching the video 14 there is a lot of steam coming out the stack it has a very large water pan with no diffuser plate and it is a stick burner or charcoal.

Since i'm new i didn't know if this was way to much steam and did question him about it and i think i insulted him by asking questions.
I still want to buy it but don't want to make a big mistake.
Being a stick burner is a big advantage to me since i have all the oak and hickory i can burn, worried that i can't keep temps down without the water and to much steam if i do use water. I asked him to install a diffuser plate but he said he would just keep it for himself.
I know i should just move on but if the steam is not problem i need to know.
Any ideas would be most helpful.

Last edited by Mt.man511; 08-04-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Mt.man511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Smokin J's PIts
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds to me that you need to tell the guy to go get bent, and keep searching for one you like, any builder shouldn't have any problems making modifications to tailor the rig to the customer, or at least be open enough to explain why the modification wouldn't work, sometimes the things we want or think of just wont work or be cost effective to do but at least explain that, not just be so arrogant to say ill just keep it then.
Smokin J's PIts is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Okay, I found a video and it show the water trough. That's not a water pan. If it needs that much water to operate correctly you don't want it. holy hannah! There's at least 5 gallons of water in that thing!! And it sounds like the guy is jerk too. I'd call someone else and have something better built.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Looks like you might be buying an experiment?

Old 08-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

That looks more like smoke from a poorly managed fire than steam. When he opens the firebox there is way too much wood creating too little air flow for it to "breathe". That's gonna put out some harsh flavors on your cook. It may work well with less wood in the firebox.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Mt.man511
Got Wood.

He said it was 18 gallons when full i just can't imagine needing that much water.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
Mt.man511
Got Wood.

I know i need to get over it i just like something different i already had taken the money out of the bank but seeing #14 video just didn't look right.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Mt.man511
Got Wood.

You know i think that is a lot of some people problem they had been used to eating BBQ cooked with bad smoke so when they get BBQ that was cooked with clean smoke they think i doesn't taste right, i'm at the top of the list.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Leftwngr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.man511 View Post
He said it was 18 gallons when full i just can't imagine needing that much water.
pretty remarkable actually. that must take a ton of energy to heat that much water and still have heat to cook the food. That is 150 lbs. of water alone... wow.

Pucks not politics
Leftwngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Run!
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Mt.man511
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
That looks more like smoke from a poorly managed fire than steam. When he opens the firebox there is way too much wood creating too little air flow for it to "breathe". That's gonna put out some harsh flavors on your cook. It may work well with less wood in the firebox.
I think you are right on i went back and watched the videos again when the temp was 300 he had very clean smoke when he loaded up the wood in the fire box then came the white smoke and as the fire died down you could see the smoke start to turn blue.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
18 gallons?????!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
Mt.man511
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krex1010 View Post
18 gallons?????!!!!!!
Well we must always look at the positive side of things 18 Gallons of hot water (Bath time).

Old 08-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Shirley

Pick up the phone and call Shirley Fab. You won't be sorry.
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/offer/smokers-cookers
DanB

Old 08-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Well we must always look at the positive side of things 18 Gallons of hot water (Bath time).
I hear ya lol ....if you just set aside how absurd an 18 gallon water pan is and just think about how long it would take 18 gallons to warm up and temps to settle and then how long it would take to cool down and safely remove it after the cook....id go tried and true if you're buying it or buid your own if you want something different.