• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gator Tail

jpbsarris

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a friend that is bringing up 20 lbs of gator tail that is already cubed up that he wants me to deep fry for his party. I've never fried gator before so I am thinking of soaking in buttermilk and dredging in Zatarain's seasoned fish fry. Anyone have any recipes or advice on frying gator tail?

The in-laws in Hammond, LA make gator balls. They grind the meat (it can be tough) and mix in eggs, onions, celery, bell pepper, various spices, and roll it in some kind of coating. The fish fry coating would certainly work. Google up gator balls recipes and I bet you'll find several to look over.

If it is tail only, just treat it like fish. I like using something like Drake's fry mix seasoned with any Cajun spice mix. Deep fry it til it floats and you've got some great eating. If it's not tail meat, I think it's better in a gumbo or any similiar dish.

If it is tail only, just treat it like fish. I like using something like Drake's fry mix seasoned with any Cajun spice mix. Deep fry it til it floats and you've got some great eating. If it's not tail meat, I think it's better in a gumbo or any similiar dish.
Plus 1

I went to school in LA. +1 on the tail is better to fry than the rest. Also +1 on the toughness issue, so don't try for huge steak like pieces.

Don't make huge pieces and it should be fine.

Their is a Cajun place down the road from me. They smoke gator ribs and they are really good.

The size of the gator normally determines the food quality, 6-8' is a nice size. We simply cube into 1" chunks and trim off any connective tissue.

You can use any of your deep fry breadings but we prefer to first season with some Tony's and use a spicy fried chicken mix. Lightly bread the gator in a shake and bake fashion and toss it into the deep fryer.

Gator gets rubbery if over cooked so when it starts to brown take it out and test for doneness/tenderness.

Orange marmalade and horse radish makes a surperb dipping sauce.

^^^^^^
Yup

Some great ideas!
I've only had it fried and in gumbo and jambalaya.

Thanks for all the ideas. It's supposed to be already cut up in about 1 inch cubes and it is supposed to be all tail meat. I have two 6 gallon fryers so it should be no problem frying up 20 lbs. How long should I soak it in the buttermilk? From what others have said it will be done shortly after it floats so I will be sure to not over cook it. I do a lot of frying but this will be my first gator. Friend is paying $8/lb plus shipping cost so I don't want to screw it up. :doh: Will also be doing home made fries and hush-puppies.

Iv'e only had it fried and thought it was pretty dang good. Never cooked it myself.
Just remember your food safety rules while handling gator
or it could come back to bite you. :pound::croc:

Thanks for all the ideas. It's supposed to be already cut up in about 1 inch cubes and it is supposed to be all tail meat. I have two 6 gallon fryers so it should be no problem frying up 20 lbs. How long should I soak it in the buttermilk? From what others have said it will be done shortly after it floats so I will be sure to not over cook it. I do a lot of frying but this will be my first gator. Friend is paying $8/lb plus shipping cost so I don't want to screw it up. :doh: Will also be doing home made fries and hush-puppies.

I've never used buttermilk and it's turned out OK. There's certainly nothing wrong with using it though. I would think a one hour soak in the fridge before dredging would work. All this talk about gator is making me hungry now:grin: Got me looking forward to the winter return to Florida.

Back