New Shirley Seasoning and of Course a Nekkid Fatty

doubt3

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was off work Friday waiting on a freezer delivery and there was no rain forecast, so it was time for seasoning the new Shirley.

Inside generously coated with 4 cans of Pam and a nice small fire going:
20160729_080757_zpskdknex3v.jpg

Rolling along nicely eventually stabilizing at at 275 (2 splits added to some lump charcoal that was lit in the chimney):
20160729_080905_zpsgytbsiew.jpg

Wanted to really heat up the oil, so added 2 additional splits and got her up to 400 fairly quickly, then closed down the damper a bit:
20160729_083842_zpslptgewac.jpg

After a few hours and getting her back down below 300, it was Nekkid Fatty time:
20160729_130812_zpsvmlprenq.jpg

20160729_131517_zps8sxsq3rg.jpg

20160729_131618_zpsfbzun7db.jpg

20160729_145702_zpsdkysp6zw.jpg

Very easy to maintain a temp +/- 25 degrees. Very easy to get up to 400 without having to leave firebox door open. Took a little while to get back down below 300 but that was expected and desired for seasoning.

The custom cover works well although a little cumbersome when trying to put it on due to the extremely durable material.

Did not have time to cook anything else due to family functions this weekend but plan on a butt or brisket this coming weekend if weather permits.

Very nice!

I'm jealous!

Great looking patina you have started on that sweet smoker.

This brought a tear to my eye! Naked fatties rock :rockon:

Congrats on the new toy!

Naked: no clothes on
Nekkid: no clothes on and up to something:)) Lewis Grizzard

Nice cooker, now put them clothes back on before something burns.

Welcome to the Shirley family. One fine looking cooker. Got her just in time for Tiger season.
I was born and raised in New Orleans, A huge LSU fan. Do not know how old you are, but as a kid I miss going to the LSU-Tulane game at old Tulane stadium. Great times. Go Tigers! My oldest son just graduated from Pitt and the younger son is a junior at Penn State.

Welcome to the Shirley family. One fine looking cooker. Got her just in time for Tiger season.
I was born and raised in New Orleans, A huge LSU fan. Do not know how old you are, but as a kid I miss going to the LSU-Tulane game at old Tulane stadium. Great times. Go Tigers! My oldest son just graduated from Pitt and the younger son is a junior at Penn State.

I have never seen a game at Tulane stadium. Actually, I have only seen Tiger football games at Tiger stadium or the Superdome (for bowl games). Definitely follow Tiger football but I am more of a baseball fan. I've seen LSU/Tulane baseball games at Zephyr Field and the Superdome. I have 1 daughter that graduated from UT-Austin and another that is currently at UL-Lafayette.

Great looking cooker and seems to be very responsive in terms of temp. I will have one of these fine cookers someday.

Congrats

Back