Ribs and Rubs

Boxmaster

I was wondering what the group thought about applying rubs and when and the reasoning. Out of habit, I've always put rub on late in the evening before the cook and rubbed it in some (membrane removed). Some I know sprinkle on the rub a few hours before and some rub a few hours before and others right before the cook. Saw someone on Tv today said if u apply rub too early and with force, it messed up the smoke penetration. Thoughts and opinions please.
Smoking some ribs for my birthday on the 14th.

thanks in advance

My rule is, rubs while the kettle is starting. marinades the day before. Seems to work for me .

I put my rub on right after I finish boiling the ribs. Ain't they beauties?

2_zpstbmxueji.jpg

Seriously, ribs are thin and don't need a lot of time for the salt to work on the protein molecules. I prep the ribs, put on the rub, then get the pit going. Once to temp, on go the ribs.

I generally prep everything the evening before including the rub. I'm sure it would be fine applying rub right before putting them in the pit, but, like dadsr4, I am a creature of habit.

I generally prep everything the evening before including the rub. I'm sure it would be fine applying rub right before putting them in the pit, but, like dadsr4, I am a creature of habit.
I like to remain flexible, but the nice thing about setting arbitrary rules is that, when you mess up, you can at least know where the clusterfark started.

I apply the rub while the pit is heating up. I try to be sure it's on there about an hour before the meat meets the smoke.

Never thought I would read a post here with someone boiling ribs.
Does a dutch oven count? This is the only way I cook any pork outside of my kettle since I read it. It's one of the the only reasons I trim anything off of whole spares before cooking them.
Sauerkraut & Pork
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94740
I normally only would cook this sort of of dish in the winter, but it's on my list while my wife is out of town, as she doesn't like sauerkraut.

I trim and salt my ribs over night. Then after I fire up my grill I apply rub with no salt and wait until my grill got up to temp, usually 15-20 minutes

Does a dutch oven count? This is the only way I cook any pork outside of my kettle since I read it. It's one of the the only reasons I trim anything off of whole spares before cooking them.
Sauerkraut & Pork
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94740
I normally only would cook this sort of of dish in the winter, but it's on my list while my wife is out of town, as she doesn't like sauerkraut.

Very Interesting dish! I will for sure try this come fall

I put my rub on right after I finish boiling the ribs. Ain't they beauties?

2_zpstbmxueji.jpg

Seriously, ribs are thin and don't need a lot of time for the salt to work on the protein molecules. I prep the ribs, put on the rub, then get the pit going. Once to temp, on go the ribs.

please no more boiled ribs thought i was going to farken puke i put my rub on and go start the lang and wait for it to come up to temp

I always apply my rub as the pit is coming up to temp. Gives the rub plenty of time to set and if for some reason I want it heavier it'll take a second dusting right as they go on.

I generally dislike overnight rubs on ribs unless there's little to no sugar or salt. Since the ribs are so thin they take seasoning fairly easily and long periods with salt, sugar or both can leave them hammy to MY tastes. But, I know a lot of folk that really enjoy that so what evvvv smoke'em if ya got'em.:mrgreen:

I rub before making the fire so they sit at room temp about an hour
3 hours
1 hour foil
And then I reapply rub and go another hour (no foil)
I find reapplying helps with bark.

Just while the cooker is started & heating up......enough time for the concoction to melt in a bit.....the heat & pig juice does the rest....
(A more important consideration, for me, is counter-clockwise burn, for pork....this will not apply to all style cookers,but makes all the difference on a kettle)

FathersDay2013004.jpg

Long as they look like this after awhile....

FathersDay2013011.jpg

FathersDay2013012.jpg

I used to apply the night before, and now it's a couple hours before starting the smoker. The change was not due to any reason only convenience for me. There is virtually no taste difference between letting them sit overnight, and a few hours before.

Never had a problem with smoke absorption or a smoke ring, both appear and taste the same.

Back