MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
barry w
On the road to being a farker

Default Bbq sauce recipe

I make my own bbq sauce. Everyone wants my recipe, should I Give up the recipe or keep it for myself as my secret? You all are very generous here on the bretheren with your recipes and bbq help. Got me thinking I might be a little selfish.
barry w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
SmokinIllini
Full Fledged Farker

Just me, but I have never found a reason to keep any recipe secret. I take it as a complement when somebody asks for one.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
needmorstuff

Yes. Why would you? Give it up.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
JD08
Full Fledged Farker

I know of a guy who made great BBQ and was steadfast about not sharing recipes. He found out he had cancer and passed away within the span of a few months and his recipes died with him. If he had passed those on, we would all think of him every time we made them.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have come to understand, if you give 6 people the exact same ingredients, and the same recipe to follow, you will wind up with 6 different sauces. Add to that different cuts of meant, different methods of cooking, different fuel sources, different seasoning along with different amounts of each, you will have 6 different versions of your bbq. Only your bbq hits the spot for you and them, even if they get it real close it wont likely be the same, so give it up you are safe. When you give out your recipe you must make them pinky swear not to ever divulge the secret Now tell me what your recipe is?
Dave

Old 05-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

So many great recipes die with the source..... I give out all my secrets..... So I have no secrets..... Lol
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Honestly it's totally up to you. What do you benefit from keeping it a secret unless you are going to sell it? Beyond that there is really only ego for the most part. And even that, if you share it people will continue to thank you and appreciate it. Sometimes making things public allows for others to improve upon what you already developed and it pushes the BBQ world forward. We're all in someway standing on the shoulder of giants.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #8
barry w

I keep a BBQ log of my BBQ cooks. It is written with the intent of passing it on. My son says don't give it away, save it for him.
barry w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry w View Post
I keep a BBQ log of my BBQ cooks. It is written with the intent of passing it on. My son says don't give it away, save it for him.
That's good enough reason to just keep it a secret. Maybe it makes another pitmaster out of him.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Then give it to him, and let him save it, and tell others to ask him.
Dave

Old 05-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

I was going to definitely say give it out until I read your son's request. Personally, I still think I would I give out it though. I personally take pleasure out of other people making a good sauce or rub because I gave them a recipe. to each their own though. Nothing wrong with having something for you and your son.
mcyork28 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Sevengoals
Full Fledged Farker

Even with the recipe they will not be able to make it like you do.
It's also about the "fine touch" and accumulated knowledge.
Sevengoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
Panupat

If you really feel it's a trade secret. Still, there are certain base template that you could share without giving away 100%. I made all my sauce based on amazingribs.com, adding a few things here and there to my liking, and while I don't share my customization, I still send everyone to amazingribs. They can mix and match and make their own.
Panupat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
agoldswo
Knows what a fatty is.

To me, it's like a fishing spot. Share the wealth! If someone goes to a fishing hole i told them about, and outfishes me, more power to them, just means i need to work harder. I couldn't care less if someone wants to try and reproduce a sauce i came up with, it just means it's a good sauce!
agoldswo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I make my own bbq sauce. Everyone wants my recipe, should I Give up the recipe or keep it for myself as my secret? You all are very generous here on the bretheren with your recipes and bbq help. Got me thinking I might be a little selfish.
My only question is, where did you get your information from? I know that everything I cook is based on what I learned from others. I have a few rubs I use that I came up with on my own, to find out that others use very similar combinations.