22.5" WSM score

Eddiecalder

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Mint condition WSM 22" off craigslist today for $200, which is a good price in the great white north. I'm already looking at the lid hinge and door upgrade from Cajun Bandit. Anything else iI should into? I hear many people use sand instead of water. What are the benefits of sand?

Any good instructional videos on YouTube?

nice! i love mine! I haven't made any mods to mine yet, but I'm gunna look into adding an extra rack. most people like to run them with nothing at all in the water pan, but i've always used water and never had any issues

Way to go Eddie!
The advantage of running sand in the water pan or a clay saucer is that those materials hold heat better than water does. They both act as a heat sink to even out temps, but water requires a lot more energy to keep hot.
If you're thinking about using sand, don't fill the water pan with it. That's an awful of of sand to get hot! Make sure you cover it with foil.
I use some crushed aluminum cans in my water pan covered with foil. Creates an air gap for the heat sink.

Good luck with your new tool!

Mint condition WSM 22" off craigslist today for $200, which is a good price in the great white north. I'm already looking at the lid hinge and door upgrade from Cajun Bandit. Anything else iI should into? I hear many people use sand instead of water. What are the benefits of sand?

Any good instructional videos on YouTube?

I put a couple small metal handles on the mid-section...makes it easy to move around with the hinged lid attached.

I would not add anything to it, as the items will not help you to improve your final product. Consider instead, of purchasing a cookbook or two. Sand and or a Terra-Cotta foiled saucer eliminates a variable which in this case is water. By running without water, you also can run at higher temps. I also recommend foiling with Reynolds Extra Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil. Enjoy your smoker.

I put gasket and the cb door and hinge, although none of it was probably neccessary. I do run it with a cyberq as well, so set it and forget it smoking. Love mine hope you love yours! Great score!

I would not add anything to it, as the items will not help you to improve your final product. Consider instead, of purchasing a cookbook or two. Sand and or a Terra-Cotta foiled saucer eliminates a variable which in this case is water. By running without water, you also can run at higher temps. I also recommend foiling with Reynolds Extra Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil. Enjoy your smoker.

I just like my stuff to be a little different than stock. I hate looking for a place for the lid all the time. The 22" is a lot larger than I expected.

I just like my stuff to be a little different than stock. I hate looking for a place for the lid all the time. The 22" is a lot larger than I expected.

When cooking butts or brisket, The lid is only opened maybe a couple of times. Remember it isn't a grill. Pretty much set it and forget it. All types of additional items merchants will try and sell to every Jean and Joan. Simply not needed IMO. Good luck.

Nice score! I don't run anything in my water pan i foil it and change it when it gets nasty. I don't seat the small stuff and i turn out good food so....:mrgreen:

You are absolutely right...all the mods in the world will not help one put out good food...but it some mods can make it easier to move around, more convenient, and easier to cook on. I like my hinge (don't have to bend over and pick up the lid with bad back) and handles (easy to move for cooking or cleaning) To each his own.

Saw a 22" new in the box for $249 yesterday while picking up some BGE replacement parts. Almost had a weak moment.

@Eddiecalder That's an awesome deal on the cooker, I always cover my water pan with foil and don't use water. I am considering finding a clay saucer for my 18.5 WSM to replace the water pan. Just wanna try it and see what kind of difference it makes.

You are absolutely right...all the mods in the world will not help one put out good food...but it some mods can make it easier to move around, more convenient, and easier to cook on. I like my hinge (don't have to bend over and pick up the lid with bad back) and handles (easy to move for cooking or cleaning) To each his own.

I have the 18.5, I have enough trouble using one hand moving food while holding the lid in the other hand! I've became a master at it here of late though.

I couldn't imagine what dealing with the 22inch lid is like. So I agree mods will not help you cook better but in this case makes it easier for the user. I find the WSM pretty awkward to handle sometimes.

Cooked 8lbs of chicken thighs last night for the first cook and the temp difference between the grates was around 15F the whole time. The Cooker is much easier to control temp than I expected. Did the first run with water and will likely look for a clay saucer form the next one. I can't see the Cooker getting above 275 with the water.

Loving the WSM so far.

Back