First cook on the Shirley

Squirrel Hunter 88

Reaction score
Picked her up Friday morning got the pleasure of meeting Tyler nice young man. This was the first Shirley I have seen in person let me tell u want be disapointed.Was up at daylight and fired her up to season the inside. After about a hour I threw on a 10 lb butt and my first fatty , well my first 3 fatties. After we ate a couple fatties I through on a chuck roast and 5 slabs of baby backs. I'm new to stick burning and struggled a little at first but got the hang of it after a couple hours. Had friends and family over every thing turned out great. I took very few pictures because I had a lot going on. I over cooked the ribs a little the pork but was the best I have ever cooked . It was a great fist cook especially for the first time on a stick burner. This site has help me a lot. Thanks !!!

Sounds like a good first smoke. You going to post the pictures?

Congrats on the new Pit, you got a good one.

Congratulations! Shirley's are excellent cooking machines. I have to restrain myself from firing mine up even when I only have six hamburger patties to cook!

Jack

It was a great fist cook especially for the first time on a stick burner. This site has help me a lot. Thanks !!!

Real important comment^^^
If you are considering a stick burner and you are worried about them being difficult then you should look at a shirley. Other than feeding it sticks they run themselves. No adjusting intakes or messing with anything. You'll have it figured out on the first cook.

Congrats on the new cooker can't wait for mine. Did you get a patio model?

Congratulations on the new Shirley! Sounds like your cook was a great success too. :cool:

Thanks everyone , I got the 24x65 trailer it's more than I needed. I don't know how to post pictures on here or I would. I got the modified trailer, stainless shelf, hip roof, extra shelf,spare tire, 1/2 inch fire box,extra shelf,extra damper, and ash pan, charcoal grate for the main chamber. Tyler also made a place under the trailer to store the ash pan for the main cook chamber. Also one burner up front. I may have forgot something there's no end to what they can do. The ride home was 4 1/2 hours pulled 75 mph trailer pulled great.

Forgot, I haven't tried to smoke squirrels before but I see it in the near future. Our season close the 29 of feb. I hunt mountain curs we killed 402 this season so we have a few to practice on. Lol !

Wow sounds awesome. I don't think them Shirley boys ever made two smokers the same. True craftsman.

Congrats on the SF!

You lucky dog you! Congrats and have fun this summer!

Sounds Great. Takes a little bit of a learning curve. Congrats and Enjoy. Looking forward to future cooks

I've made some tasty squirrels on the smoker. I let them take on a little smoke then wrap in foil, with butter and onions until tender.

Back