Buckboard bacon???

krex1010

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all.....thinking about trying my hand at bacon, pork belly is not a grocery store item near me and I talked to a few butchers that we're going to charge like $3-3.50 a pound, which is getting close to just buying bacon prices...pork butt is much cheaper and I've heard you can make something called buckboard bacon out of shoulder. Cheaper, readily available and less fat.....that sounds good to me!

Anyone here have any experience making it? I'd love some tips. I'm thinking I'll bone out a shoulder and cut it in half in line with where the bone was so I have two thinner, square slabs to deal with and will give me at least somewhat of a traditional bacon shape when sliced. Plan is a wet brine with Prague #1 for a week or 10 days, then let them air dry in the fridge for a day, then hang the slabs in my wsm and smoke at around 200 degrees until I hit 150 IT.......am I going about this right? Or does anyone have any advice or tip?

Sounds like you know the drill.
You'll love it.
This is one of my attempts at buckboard bacon.

picture.php

Go to thirdeyes blog, a brethren, He has a very good description on how to do buckboard bacon

Thank fellas......CHoll that looks pretty good to me!

The hardest thing about BBB is waiting for it to cure. I put fresh cracked pepper in the brine for some kick. Once you smoke it, eating is the easy part!

The science behind it shows damp cold surfaces hold smoke better and I don't air dry it. I put it in a water bath for 1/2 hr to leach out some excess salt and then pat dry with a towel and into the smoker with hickory or apple wood. :thumb:

Here's one I did a while back. I used a maple sugar dry brine from Butcher & Packer. Gave it a good rinse to remove any excess salt, then a light coating of maple syrup and a dusting of Peppered Cow. Has more of a hammy/canadian bacon taste than actual belly bacon. But pretty good none the less.

20140914_173125_Android.jpg

Here's one I did a while back. I used a maple sugar dry brine from Butcher & Packer. Gave it a good rinse to remove any excess salt, then a light coating of maple syrup and a dusting of Peppered Cow. Has more of a hammy/canadian bacon taste than actual belly bacon. But pretty good none the less.

20140914_173125_Android.jpg

That was my impression as well for my first and only BBB experience. It was sweeter and hammier (sp?) but DANG good. I did a Ruhlman recipe with some real maple syrup and it rocked!

So is there a difference between buckboard bacon and the hams i get from the grocery made from shoulder (ya know the cheaper ham)???

Thanks for the info fellas....I have a tub of Prague powder already so I'm planning on doing my own brine, probably going with a wet brine to avoid hot and cold spots. I plan on using a butt for this and I'm kinda torn on whether I should leave the butt whole or split it in half to get a more belly bacon shape.

Thanks for the info fellas....I have a tub of Prague powder already so I'm planning on doing my own brine, probably going with a wet brine to avoid hot and cold spots. I plan on using a butt for this and I'm kinda torn on whether I should leave the butt whole or split it in half to get a more belly bacon shape.

That's personal taste. I've done both. I actually have a butt in brine right now for buckboard bacon. I just cut the bone out and put it in - I like to keep it simple. Buckboard bacon is one of my favorite things.

i always give it an overnight soak in cold water to remove any extra saltiness. this really brings out the flavor as opposed to not soaking.

Back