Don't it just figure,, ( free peach wood )

GA1dad

Full Fledged Farker
Took a road trip today a few hours from home to see my son. Rather than drive my 3/4 ton Chevrolet, I decided to save gas and take my wife's Honda CRV. As I drove past a peach orchard I noticed several limbs on the ground. I stop to talk to the owner and ask if I can pick up a few limbs. The 87 year old man grins and says "Ya lookin' fer some BBQ wood?" I smiled back and said "Yessir". To my surprise the gentleman tells me I can have all I want as long as it's dead already,,, woohoo!!

Now don't it just figure I get free range to peach wood hours from home, and I'm in my wife's hatchback,,, with no saw. So I tried to pick out a few that I could bust by hand and fit in without scuffing up the wife's upholstery. Now I know to drive my truck next time I'm down that way.

To those that burn fresh peach,,, do you trim the scaley, mossy looking bark?

Last edited:
That's how it usually goes for me too. At least you got a little.

Great find.... Congratulations.

From the picture it looks more like lichen and it should fall off when stored in a dry area as they thrive on moisture. Once dry, bang the wood and they are gone. A day or two in the hot sun will also remove them.

Wife Happy??? :)

She is now that she got a free detailing out of me today,,,,,

The big Chevy is for pulling the camper. I've been mentioning that I wanted to buy a small 4 door truck for commuting,,,,, this might have sealed the deal.

Nice score! Sucks how things happen like that! But I've had to load my car up from the front seat to the trunk before with firewood! When I have a nice 1 ton truck sitting in the drive way!

Back