Popovers and Brethren kindness

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
One of my favorite breakfast breads and sides for Prime Rib is popovers. However, I have not had the specific pan needed to make these correctly. Called a popover sheet, you just need one to make these

IMG_2070_zpskdbrqwpw.jpg

In any event, one day, I see Boshizzle post that he found an old Griswold popover pan, and I mentioned that I was jealous, as we never see that kind of thing out here.

And this shows up...

IMG_2066_zpsvyidzb58.jpg

Yes, he sent me the Griswold popover pan. I am truly grateful, now all I need is to perfect the use of it.

Attempt one looked good, but wasn't crisp or puffy enough

IMG_2067_zps584myopm.jpg

Attempt two was better

IMG_2072_zpswslyqzsj.jpg

In any event, thanks Joe, you rock brother! :thumb:

Oh, and it is perfectly seasoned, which I also assume was done by Boshizzle, as it is OCD seasoned and used stuff is never like that

Oh man. So awesome! I didn't even know these existed. I am now in the hunt. I make popovers all the time but I have the cheap thin metal pans. Now that I know this exists, the hunt is on.

Damn, I love those things!!

Way to go, Boshizzle and congratulations, Platty!

Those look good but I have no idea what a popover is. I asked my wife and she said she never heard of them either. Time to google and find a recipe and make some.

Those look good but I have no idea what a popover is. I asked my wife and she said she never heard of them either. Time to google and find a recipe and make some.

I hadn't heard of them either, but just asked the wife and she thought I was a little lame. It's what we know as yorkshire pudding apparently, which we always make for family meals.

That truely is Brethern kindness! I didn't know there were special CI pans to make them either.

Couple of tips, make sure all ingredients are room temp, preheat pan.

Not sure what recipe you are using but over fill the pans. Recipie for 6:

1.5 cups milk
1.5 cups flour
4 eggs
1/3 stick of butter melted

Alton mixes in blender for 20 to 30 seconds.

Bake at 450 for 20 mins, reduce heat to 375 to 350 (practice).
Cook additional 20 mins.

Pull from oven and poke hole in top to vent steam.

Once you get it nailed add cheese in the middle. The fam loves them.

I hadn't heard of them either, but just asked the wife and she thought I was a little lame. It's what we know as yorkshire pudding apparently, which we always make for family meals.

That truely is Brethern kindness! I didn't know there were special CI pans to make them either.

I think there're similar but a little different than Yorkshire

Um yeah. Pop Overs are freaking amazing. If you haven't tried them do so immediately. If you don't have a pop over pan just use a muffin pan which is what I do. They are so easy to make and the texture is awesome.

Thanks for posting a great reminder!!

just ordered 2 popover pans on amazon :) they'll be here tomorrow . never had them before . can't wait .

tomorrow will be two firsts . first time eating popovers and first time being 60 yrs old ;)

can't wait ....................................... for the popovers :)

I add a bit of shredded Gruyere cheese to mine once the batter is in the pan. It's delish! Also, these are best served warm fresh out of the oven. I also like mine with a little pepper jelly.

That's great Brethren spirit right there. And I'm going to have to try this. I've never had a popover or yorkshire pudding.

Lucky you, Bob! You're a class act, Joe. :wink: I used to have a cast iron popover pan, and also gave mine away. :tsk: Popovers are amazing! :clap2:

Very nice gesture of Boshizzle to do that for you. One of the many things I love about this place. Just good folks.

Couple of tips, make sure all ingredients are room temp, preheat pan.

Not sure what recipe you are using but over fill the pans. Recipie for 6:

1.5 cups milk
1.5 cups flour
4 eggs
1/3 stick of butter melted

Alton mixes in blender for 20 to 30 seconds.

Bake at 450 for 20 mins, reduce heat to 375 to 350 (practice).
Cook additional 20 mins.

Pull from oven and poke hole in top to vent steam.

Once you get it nailed add cheese in the middle. The fam loves them.

That is the way we make them too, except I add some melted butter to the pan to help get them out...Love these things

Popovers are made with butter in the pan, Yorkshire puddings are typically made with rendered fat, and are usually rounder due to use of muffin pans. I am intrigued that BLT uses scalded milk. I'm making more today, using your tips.

Back