Miso Ramen With Smoked Porkbelly

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The wife has been on me to make her some Ramen for a while. Had some time this weekend finally, so here we go!

First, I got a 3 1/2 lb chunk of pork belly from the hispanic market. They usually pre slice it (They sell it in 1in thick slabs, flanken cut with ribs..), but I asked and they had some in back. Got what I always think of as the Tail End of the belly, where the ribs end and meat is a little more uneven...

As you can see... 3 little ribs left...

Removed the skin and scored it deep..

Mixed up a marinade of Mirin, Dark Soy, honey, onion, garlic, chili paste, crushed red pepper, and probably some other stuff. I don't remember.. I knew I shoulda wrote it down..

IN the fridge for a nap overnight..

I also smoked this chuckie.. Mostly for chili, but I let the edges get extra crispy for the dashi..

I used Landarc's recipe for dashi which can be found HERE

Charred the green onions

Put in some nice smoked edges of a chuckie, and some smokey home made bacon chunks...

While that steeped I prepped the belly. Simple seasoning and onto the weber. It was pissing rain all day and I didn't want to get the shirley out..

This is somewhere in the middle of the cook.. The coals under the belly are not lit.. I kept the temps way low..

After 2 hours I started basting with a mix of garlic, bourbon, soy, red pepper and hoisin. Total cook time was around 6 - 7 hours at 225-250. The fat was like farkin' candy.

Here are the little ribs!

I prepped the finishing touches and started the water for noodles.

I had bought some fresh alkaline noodles from a japanese grocery a couple weeks ago and froze them... They cooked up quick. I took about half the Dashi and put it in a new pot, then added yellow miso until it tasted right. Then I added the shiitake mushrooms and shut off the burner. Ladled it up and BOOM!

This did not suck!

Last edited:
That's looking awesome Matt! Love ramen.

That looks better than much of the ramen I've had here on Oki! Day-um!

looks awesome.

Have you guys ever seen "Mind of a Chef" on PBS (now on Netflix)... I watched the 1st 8 episodes or so... David Chang is a big ramen fan.... interesting tidbits on that show.

Back