I think I'm the only one

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Who has not read a BBQ book. I don't do books. Now I have watched Hundreds of videos. :wink:

I'm with you. I read books but definitely prefer video so I can really see what's being talked about

I have never read a BBQ book either , there nothing I would do different anyways except I mite try some sauce recipes .

I'd actually like to read Aaron Franklin's book, to see if there's anything in there about why his business has been so successful. I have a couple of theories about having a BBQ business, but, I'm not willing to lose my retirement assets, and I'm too tired to start over.

Gain knowledge however you see fit. Read a blog a book or a forum.....or don't read at all. It's all just means than end.

I definitely watch more BBQ videos than I read BBQ books, matter of fact I still have one BBQ book that I need to read that was one of last years christmas presents.

I read most of one once because everyone was going on and on and on about it. Entertaining but didn't find anything you can't find here.

I've never read one either. The amount I have learned from folks around this place could fill more than a couple chapters.

I've never red a BBQ book either. I have watched a ton of videos and read thousands of posts on here.

I've never read one either. The amount I have learned from folks around this place could fill more than a couple chapters.
Oh, much more than a couple of chapters. The BBQ Brethren is good enough to be your sole source for knowledge: But some of us were trying to learn about the art of bbq long, long before Al Gore invented the Internet, and even before the computer came into being. So books were a go to source, sometimes the only one besides personal contact with other BBQ-ers.
Some of us got the habit of reading, and it stuck.
To each his own.
For the record, research has shown that most people learn more and faster by seeing and hearing than by reading.

Nah Smitty you aint alone I never read one either, it's just heat & meat pretty self explanatory.

I'd actually like to read Aaron Franklin's book, to see if there's anything in there about why his business has been so successful. I have a couple of theories about having a BBQ business, but, I'm not willing to lose my retirement assets, and I'm too tired to start over.

Check it out from the library, that's what I did. It's a good book but there is little to garner about his joint, I found conflicting information when it came to the nuts and bolts of his timing and the like. Same as his videos, there is information that is left out, or skirted around but it's still worth flipping through!

I have never read a bbq book, just learned from watching the old timers and reding the helpful posts here.

Someone in my family gave me a copy of this book years ago, its a good reference manual for mops and sauces, I keep it handy:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-Barbecue-Charcoal-Wood-Burning/dp/155832061X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450069484&sr=8-3&keywords=smoke+%26+spice+cookbook"]Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue, on Your Charcoal Grill, Water Smoker, or Wood-Burning Pit: Cheryl Alters Jamison, Paul Hoffman, Chris Schlesinger: 9781558320611: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TT230CH9L.@@AMEPARAM@@51TT230CH9L[/ame]

I love to read books of all kinds so BBQ books are a natural but its usually for entertainment and historical knowledge. If I want real info on how to cook something or build something then google is king. But the stories behind everything are fascinating to me. Mike Mills book is good that way, Franklins, Myrons. I dont pull many recipes or techniques from them. In fact straight recipe books are the least interesting to me. I have the Smoke and Spice book shown in the previous post. Probably one of my least favorites but only because its more of a cook book. And videos are great. Donnies especially!

I'd actually like to read Aaron Franklin's book, to see if there's anything in there about why his business has been so successful.

I hardly every read books, I much prefer videos on YouTube or to just read stuff here. I'm way too ADD and impatient to deal with hundreds of pages of reading....but that said, on a recent RV vacation I actually bought Aaron's book and read it. VERY interesting and a good read.

I tried his brisket recipe and felt it was sharply inferior to my own. I tend to inject, he doesn't. I like 235F and he runs hotter at 275F. I like several spices/seasoning whereas he rolls with just salt n' pepper. I foil and he wraps in butcher paper. He owns a VERY successful BBQ restaurant and I'm just a backyard enthusiast and so I tip my hat to him. That's a metaphorical hat, I don't' actually wear a hat.

Anyways, I generally just look at videos, check out recipes on this forum and assimilate/incorporate the aspects I like and go from there..after that I keep tweaking and playing with the recipe until I've got it right.

Who has not read a BBQ book. I don't do books. Now I have watched Hundreds of videos. :wink:

You and me both. I was taught, hands on at an early age.
Never could read books.
I do like watching you tube vids, we can pick up a lot of tips and tricks, just like being on this forum.

Back