MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
keodark
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Choosing my first offset smoker

Hi all,

I've been doing some heavy research before buying my first real backyard cooker. I know I don't have the skills or tools to weld one, and I know I want an offset stick burner. I've read conflicting things about RF versus tuning plates (versus direct flow). Hoping for some opinions on the issue, as it pertains to a SMALL backyard cooker (36" - 40") such as the baseline Lang or Horizon. My budget is between $1200 and $1500.

First, I wonder if tuning plates (which must be close together near the firebox to prevent hot spots there) might cause food on the firebox end to receive less smoke? Also, along the grate there is relatively little open surface area until you get near the colder (stack) end... it seems to me like most of the smoke would exit the cooker without touching meat?

Second, I was inspired by Aaron Franklin and in his book he recommends direct-flow smokers, but he's not really talking about small backyard cookers. Still, he says Reverse Flow restricts airflow and makes it difficult to maintain proper (strong) convection. For that matter, he's against tuning plates for the same reasons.

Third, the website for Lone Star Grillz (FAQ) says (paraphrased): We prefer tuning plates to RF because RF requires a much larger fire and it's harder to maintain a good draw which can result in inferior smoke. Personally, I've seen that sentiment echoed on forums, with concerns about keeping the firebox in an RF at the right temperature without overheating it.

As a related question, I'm wondering what the recommended "first step" is for a newbie to learn offset stick burning. I've read plenty of stories about frustrated newcomers giving up after using a cheap (thin walled) offset smoker, so I'd like to avoid that. Is there another way to find out if I have the patience required (and to practice) before investing in a Lang? Perhaps something no-weld that I can try to build first? I don't think I'm interested in a UDS because it's direct heat.

Thanks for any opinions!
keodark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

Kat smokers is in your hood
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Ken is right in your area with Kats... And people who knock reverse flows are misinformed... I build them everyday... They are excellent smokers and i will put them up beside a smoker with tuning plates all day long...Kats had a website.. Ken is a great guy... Honest as the day is long... Check him out..

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Hi Keodark. I started the exact process you just have after his book as well. I had been using a big green egg for two years and wanted to take the next step. A lot of what he says in his book is based on what works best form him. after about a month of research I ordered a Shirley which gets here next month. I read countless reviews and watched many videos. Just watch a video where you can see smoke pulling super hard out of the stack and you will see there is plenty of draw on a rf. Plus there are tons of experienced smokers in here that use Rf smokers. just take your time and get what's going to work best for you. Good luck and enjoy the process

Last edited by Mattb82; 12-13-2015 at 06:49 AM..
Mattb82 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
mnbadger
Full Fledged Farker

Shipping a cooker is a royal pain in the butt. I would go with a KAT smoker since they are close to you. You'll save a ton of money on shipping that way. TuscaloosaQ definitely knows what he is talking about. I was going back and forth with his son Tyler about building a small backyard pit and they were really accommodating. Just all around great people to work with.

In the end I located an 80 gallon tank and I'm going to build my own (in progress). If I was ever going to have someone else build me an offset I would get a shirley, I would also love to have an assassin grill, 270 smokers standard... The list goes on... Even though I'm building my own Tyler told me to give him a call if I have any questions while I'm building my cooker.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Doog
is One Chatty Farker

Just make sure you get a smoker that is at least 1/4" thick. Reverse flows smokers work good,I have owned both types of smokers and my current is a RF.
Also Craig's List sometimes has some finds.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I lived in Ca, Kat would be my 1st call.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
SmittyJonz

I prefer Verticals. Living in CA. 3/16" would be fine. Save weight and $ and still have a BadAzz long lasting pit. I'd have Kat build me a vertical.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
SmittyJonz

http://www.katbbqsmokers.com

Like the vertical section on this one.

http://katbbqsmokers.com/60x24_reverse_flow_vertical/

Old 12-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
SmittyJonz

What are you used to Smoking/Cooking on? A fair number of fellars read a BBQ book run out and buy an $ offset smoker and then Hate it.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
keodark
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the advice, all!

@SmittyJonz, I've always wanted to smoke but only just recently have a spot in my tiny California back yard for a cooker. I've smoked a few things in the past with cobbled-together boxes with direct-heat and wood chips, but that hardly counts. I do have a history of choosing the long-and-convoluted way to cook things, so I think I'm up for the challenge of 16-hour cooks. I just have a yearning to eat proper brisket again (there are no good bbq places near me), even if it takes a lot of time and money.

That said, you have a good point. Is there a better "stepping stone" I should take before committing to a $1500 (+shipping) cooker, that will let me learn offset stick-burning without quite as much cash? Welding it myself isn't going to be an option...

Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
keodark
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog View Post
Also Craig's List sometimes has some finds.
There's actually a Lang Patio 36", used, on CL, about 250 miles from me right now, for $900. It looks to be in decent shape, although it looks like an older model that doesn't have the slide-out upper grate. Still, I'm stumped on how to move the thing 250 miles. A box-truck would cost $500 in gas and mileage, hiring residential freight would be even more. I could borrow a pickup, but even with a rental loading ramp I'm not sure two guys could load and unload a 600-pound smoker into a pickup... I don't know anyone with a trailer, either...

Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Do you have an Academy near you? They have some offsets in the $500 range that you can try and probably get half your money back if you need to sell it. Half of $500 is better than half of $1,500.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
SmittyJonz

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=202034

Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #15
SmittyJonz

And ugly drum smoker or UDS is probably the single best starter smoker there is .?you could build one for $150 or you can buy one for $500 . And you can do a right proper brisket on the UDS