MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Adubree86
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam
Default Cold smoker question

I built a Venturi smoker with a fish pump and am having trouble getting the smoke to draw through the smoker. Since the smoke is cold there is no heat to raise the smoke through the cab. Short of a fan on top the exhaust to draw smoke how do you guys get the smoke to draw?

Old 12-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a smoke daddy... you might want to try to mimmic that.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
IamMadMan

Never seen a venturi smoker so all I can offer is... Are your vents open for proper air flow?

I use the A-Maze-N Pellet smoker. Just set it in the smoker, light one end with a torch, and close it up. I have gotten up to 10.5 hours of cold smoke from a single fill, before refilling and allowing to burn in the other direction. Easy Peasy...

It follows the normal air flow of the smoker, bottom vent open, top vent open. The warm smoke naturally rises exiting the chimney and is refreshed with fresh air from below.

Wish I could be of better assistance.....

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Adubree86
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/con.../1000/flags/LL

This is an example of what I've built.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
PNW Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post

I use the A-Maze-N Pellet smoker. Just set it in the smoker, light one end with a torch, and close it up. I have gotten up to 10.5 hours of cold smoke from a single fill, before refilling and allowing to burn in the other direction. Easy Peasy...

It follows the normal air flow of the smoker, bottom vent open, top vent open. The warm smoke naturally rises exiting the chimney and is refreshed with fresh air from below.

sorry to hijack...

This looks really interesting. I'm wondering if I could use it to do cheese in my webber. The issue I think I would have with the Traegar is I don't have a bottom vent, so without actually running it, I don't get air flow.

maybe the 6x6 smaller unit might be right up my ally

Old 12-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Smoker View Post
sorry to hijack...

This looks really interesting. I'm wondering if I could use it to do cheese in my webber. The issue I think I would have with the Traegar is I don't have a bottom vent, so without actually running it, I don't get air flow.

Yes it works in a Weber, just set it on the charcoal rack in lieu of using charcoal, line the cheese near the outer edges of the cooking grate for more even application of smoke.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
PNW Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

awesome. i've been trying to figure out how to capture the smoke from my Traegar and put it into a cold chamber (without buying their attachment). I think this looks much more promising and its a reasonable price

Old 12-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
MisterChrister
Babbling Farker

OP, you are correct. You need air flow, or else you're just going to create stagnant smoke and bad flavors. Without a fan, you'll need to have some small amount of heat source to create the "hot air rises" effect to pull cooler air in the bottom as the warm air escapes the top vents, pulling the smoke along for the ride. Many people use various size lightbulbs (depending on heat needed based on cabinet size, outside air temp, and desired cabinet temp) in their cabinets to create enough heat to draw. Just need to make sure not to overheat and cook your food.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Bbq_lover
Full Fledged Farker

I built the same thing, and my first attempt didn't work well due to the size of the air pump. I ended up buying an 80 gallon air pump and it works great. The other thing to do is make sure the insert goes in past the t connection by a a half inch to an inch. This will help draw air from the box and not the back end of the pipe.
Bbq_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adubree86 View Post
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/con.../1000/flags/LL

This is an example of what I've built.

Likes like a real monster, nice output.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
Bbq_lover
Full Fledged Farker

I had to upload a pic, but here is mine working

Last edited by Bbq_lover; 12-12-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Bbq_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #12
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like you need an intake hole at the bottom of the burn chamber. My homemade venturi also has fish pump line flush with the smoke output tube if you look inside the burn chamber.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Pellet smoker works like a charm. Been known to use a cardboard box.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Adubree86
Full Fledged Farker

I got it leveled out after about 20 mins. The smoke got a bit hotter and started flowing better out the top of the smoker. Could be better though.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Smoker View Post
sorry to hijack...

I use the large A-maz-ing tube smoker in my Yoder 640 to cold smoke.
Just light it, put it in the cook chamber above the firepot, and run the fan with out starting the auger. Works great, I get about 3 hours of good smoke from a tube full of pellets.