MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #1
scrub puller
On the road to being a farker

Default Why cook whole brisket?

Yair why is it folks always cook such huge slabs of meat?

There is only just the two of us at our place and we prefer brisket cold in sandwiches or with salad.

I just slice (say) a twelve pounder into five or six pieces and cook a piece along with a pork shoulder or maybe some silverside . . . they come off the drum at different times of course.

Makes for a nice selection of cold cuts and I get to run the drum every week.

Cheers.
scrub puller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cooking a whole brisket is usually done to feed a large group of individuals. Yet others, like myself, will sometimes cook a whole brisket knowing it will not be completely eaten with the intention on dividing it and vac-sealing the cooked brisket for another meal.

I like to keep at least one five pound piece of brisket and five pounds of pulled pork vac-seled in the freezer for when unexpected guests arrive hours before dinner. Just drop the bag in hot water and in about 30 minutes the meat is at a safe serving temperature. People cannot believe it was frozen and reheated, they always say it tastes like it was just cooked.

The vac-seal route also works when both the wife and I have busy schedules and don't have time to cook, so I seal smaller amounts of everything: Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Chicken, and even side dishes like baked beans, and mac and cheese just for these purposes. Sides can be heated in the same manner or in a microwave dish.

The smaller sealed bags are also great when I'm sick and just don't have the energy to cook yet I'm craving some BBQ. Easy Peasy all the way.

Also works great with big pots of chili, stews, and many other things. I would have to say the Weston Vac-Sealer gets as much use as the cooker does.

Sorry to digress, but many people will cook a smaller piece of brisket flat for their needs, so in the end it's a matter of choice and preference. However, I think the larger briskets have more flavor than the smaller pieces I have cooked, but it could just be my imagination.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Its pretty much a matter of choice! Exactly what IAMMADMAN says. Myself I cooked a whole brisket last night, we're making sandwiches out of it tonight, the rest is MINE. No one else will eat it. So I'm gonna vac seal and freeze it, or give some away (maybe). But It will probably be gone by the end of the week anyways. I like left overs.
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok- I know this one. Because it's brisket? Just me and the wife too- but every weekend something is on one of my cookers. Sometimes a lot- sometimes a little- but it's cooking.
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Jason TQ

Because this is America
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Seefyre
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Because I need a reason to be out of the house feeding the sticker burner all day and some of the night. A small piece of beef wouldn't justify all that firewood and beer.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

Because. Brisket.
Member of [COLOR="Red"]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"[/COLOR]

KCBS CBJ #81419
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I'd like to try and learn something here.

I cook whole packers, almost always around 15# each because
(1) that is what I can get at good price
(2) I think cooking the whole packer with a modest trim produces a better taste, texture and tenderness, and
(3) as mentioned it freezes well in a vacuum bagger for later consumption.

Now, that said, I've never tried to cook a smaller part of a brisket. Does a smaller piece, say a couple pounds of the flat get the same taste, texture and tenderness of a whole packer? If it does, then I don't see anything wrong with cooking smaller pieces.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Bludawg

I cook for ME I have no issue with cooking a packer and devouring the entire thing over a weeks time.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I waste a fair amount of brisket. Only 2 of us now and my wife is allergic to beef. I get lucky sometimes and find them under 10LBS.they shrink pretty good so there isn't a whole lot to eat. I have cut them lengthwise so there is point in each piece on a really big brisket. I say keep doing what you are doing if it works for you. Maybe get a grinder and make hamburger? Every time I trim a brisket I wish I had a grinder.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I'd like to try and learn something here.

I cook whole packers, almost always around 15# each because
(1) that is what I can get at good price
(2) I think cooking the whole packer with a modest trim produces a better taste, texture and tenderness, and
(3) as mentioned it freezes well in a vacuum bagger for later consumption.

Now, that said, I've never tried to cook a smaller part of a brisket. Does a smaller piece, say a couple pounds of the flat get the same taste, texture and tenderness of a whole packer? If it does, then I don't see anything wrong with cooking smaller pieces.
Yep! Plus, you stand better chance at getting a nice, thick flat with bigger packers.

Brisket chili is a great use for the leftovers!

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Information!!

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Signup!!

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
scrub puller
On the road to being a farker

Yair . . .

Gotcha folks, thanks for replies.

I was just curious, cooking smaller pieces works for me and we note little change in taste or texture.

I just thaw and cook as needed, as mentioned, we seldom have it hot but a nice piece of slow cooked brisket sure is comforting to pick on in the fridge. (big grin)

I have never bothered with the vac-seal gear as we never have any "left overs" and I have never thought it helped much when freezing down fresh uncooked meat.

I don't post much but come here often and really do appreciate the knowledge, helpfulness and courtesy of the folks on this site.

Cheers.
scrub puller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
landarc

I live alone, and I also prefer to cook whole packers, in the 12 to 15 pound range. In my opinion, it produces a better product. I also do not separate and prefer a very light trim for home cooking. I believe the smaller pieces of flat dry out, and the points alone are hard to come by, and honestly, I am finding that they are kinda too fatty for me anymore. Whereas, eating the point and flat slices is perfect.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Just two of us as well. Agree completely with the Madman. Unbelievable how fresh everything tastes after just warming in hot water.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
mikemci
Babbling Farker

As others have said, I am cooking for two, but it is ALWAYS whole packers. Vac seal and heat in almost boiling water, whenever the weather isn't the best, or I just get the hankering for brisket. The texture, moistness and flavor doesn't suffer or degrade.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote