Think I'm Starting To Get That Smoking Itch Back

heatseeker

Full Fledged Farker
Hey guys and gals. It's been a long time. Too long in fact. Sorry to those who tried to reach out to me. I wasn't in a head space to talk. I'm still not sure I'm 100% there, but I figured....why not go for it.

As some of you know, my wife and I almost lost our son at birth and it's been an uphill battle everyday. He's approaching 3 now (in March) and I can't begin to be grateful enough that he is alive and doing as well as he is. He's diagnosed with cerebral palsy and sensory processing disorder. In August, I had to officially close my business down to work full-time with his special needs due to my wife's health issues. In the past 3 years, I have probably smoked food no more than 5 different occasions. My heart just hasn't been in it. Battling stress, anxiety, depression and what not.

Earlier today, I was cleaning out the garage and getting it re-organized. I opened a crate that I hadn't looked in for at least 2.5 years. Only 2 items in there. 1 of those items...an unopened bag of hickory wood chunks. With a small smile on my face, I glanced out the window at my TRULY ugly uds by this point. In a fashion that only the brethren (and sistren) can understand, I apologized to my uds for abandoning her. The last time I smoked (or tried to smoke) something was about 6 or 7 months ago. I didn't confirm temps. I didn't check for doneness. I just knew it wasn't right and threw it in the oven.

But.....I'm starting to get the itch back. I strolled past the meat section at the grocer and saw that the butts were all gone....and I got a little disappointed that they weren't there. Day by day, I'm getting stronger emotionally. Who knows, I just might have some pron coming before 2016 hits. Baby steps.

Anywho, just wanted to show my face and thank everyone for their well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. They were and still are needed.

Only time I'll say that I'm glad you're getting the itch back. :becky:

Praying for the little one and your family as a whole.

Sorry to hear about your son my prays go out to you and your family.

Welcome back, look forward to seeing some picture.

Prayers for you and your's. Maybe getting back into using the UDS will bring you some relief from your troubles.

Get the smoke on. Just prepping the smoker and fiddling around with the thing sends me to another world. Maybe getting back into smoking food will relieve some stress.

I can't imagine you situation, but I can say you are a very, very strong family man.
Keep up the good work

you and yours are in our thoughts and thanks for sharing.

It's always tough battling family health issues especially with kids. Glad things are starting to come around for you!

Prayers and healing thoughts for you and your family. I look forward to seeing pron soon. I hope starting again will help soothe your soul.

Heatseeker, our daughter was born with those same issues nearly 40 years ago. I'd love to tell you that one day you'll wake up and its all better, but you already know the answer to that. What I will tell you is that as time goes by, you get smarter and better able to to deal with each days challenges. For us, we had to learn that when she tried to meet those challenges, she had the right to fail without being a failure. Her successes might have come in smaller steps, but they have been successes just the same. Wishing you nothing but the best!

Sorry to hear of your trials, just remember, "This too shall pass..." No matter what the situation it is a true statement and it reminds me that the bad times won't last, and that I need to recognize the good times, and live in the moment.

Now, fire that mother up and smoke something!

Sorry to hear about your battles brother. Sometimes we never know why we have them, but for whatever reason, in the end it will all make sense. I pray you have the stregnth and find the zeal you once had for bbq.

Back