MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

Default ...failure to communicate!

I posted awhile back that my wife stopped liking my pulled pork. Well, I'm on a mission to fix it. I'm cooking two big pork butts tomorrow and I'll try to eliminate the rub as the problem. Right before I got my reverse flow, I changed my rub from a commercial to a homemade rub. Famous Dave's is the only consistent rub I can find at the stores I shop. I've used FD's for a few years with good success and it's what I used the last time my wife enjoyed the pulled pork.
I'm using FDs with one butt and my rub with extra brown sugar on the other. I already know my wife doesn't liked my new rub so I'm kicking it up with the extra brown sugar to add more bark. Bark is something I always got with the Famous Dave's rub. It's one thing my wife said the pulled pork is missing. I have used the same injection since I started so that will be the same in both butts.

*This is the basic Pork injection solution I've used for years. I've changed it up to experiment and keep coming back to it.
Pork injection;
In a 1 quart mason jar;
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
4 TBs Worcestershire
Fill remainder with Apple Juice ~ 2 cups

This is the homemade rub I made in early summer. It's one factor that could be the problem.
Pork Rub;
2 – Cups White Sugar
2 – Cups Brown Sugar
2 – Cups Kosher Salt
1 - Cup black pepper
1 – Cup Chili Powder
1 – Cup Paprika
¾ - Cup Turmeric
¼ - Cup Garlic Powder
¼ - Cup Onion Powder
1/8 – Cup Cayenne powder

Last edited by Papa Don; 05-16-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

Hope you find the magic again.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Prep

Cherry wood is ready. My wife has said the recent PP tastes like "boiled ham". I know hickory can give pork a hammy taste so, only cherry tomorrow.
I've read that you're only supposed to change one thing at a time to fix the taste profile. I'm way to impatient to do that.
In addition to using two different rubs and only cherry wood, I'm going to take a suggestion and choke down the exhaust. I've been missing the smokey flavor since I've been using the stick burner. I really think the air is following way too fast through the smoker. I could be way off here but we'll find out.

Last edited by Papa Don; 05-16-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

to us FD was really plain. maybe with your injection it makes it better. can't wait to see the pic of the little butts in that big Shirley. hope the wife gets happy again.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Big smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
to us FD was really plain. maybe with your injection it makes it better. can't wait to see the pic of the little butts in that big Shirley. hope the wife gets happy again.
You know, my build list did get away from me. I still can't believe how big my smoker is.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
Lordkifar
Full Fledged Farker

You think the injection is what is making it taste like a boiled ham? I never inject a butt....comes out juicy on its own....why not try without an injection?
Lordkifar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Doog
is One Chatty Farker

2 big butts in that smoker. You would probably need another 60 to fill it.
I like smoking with cherry...Good Luck with your experiment!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Are you cooking the Boston Butt or the Picnic? The Picnic always tastes hammy to me.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

From all the stuff I've read, it's always been stated to keep the exhaust wide open. Against everything, I'm going to play with the exhaust tomorrow.
I have to say that all the other food I've cooked has been amazing. I really took a step back with my pulled pork. I'm hoping it's as simple as the rub and slowing down air flow. The two main things that are missing; Smoke taste and Bark.
The smoker pulls air hard and fast. There is a bunch of ash and chunks of wood under the baffle plate. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Flames from the fire are even pulled under the plate.
The last cook on Thanksgiving I tried a suggestion of leaving the intake damper wide open and a smaller fire. It didn't work out. The turkeys were getting sooty so I wiped them off and closed down the damper down. Strangely, the temps were the same.
All this being said, I've only cooked on my smoker less than ten times.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Buston butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Are you cooking the Boston Butt or the Picnic? The Picnic always tastes hammy to me.
I'm cooking Pork shoulders (Boston butts).
The two picnics I smoked recently had a injection solution added when packed. This could have been an issue too.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordkifar View Post
You think the injection is what is making it taste like a boiled ham? I never inject a butt....comes out juicy on its own....why not try without an injection?

Hmmmm i have never injected a butt either... And always use hickory.... Unless. I have pecan wood... Then i mix it.... I am not sure what the problem is.... I have cooked many butts... With no rub at all.... Hope you get this solved....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog View Post
2 big butts in that smoker. You would probably need another 60 to fill it.
I like smoking with cherry...Good Luck with your experiment!
True.

I've only used the top shelf twice. It gets extremely hot. Good for chicken.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Papa Don
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordkifar View Post
The problem is that I've always injected my pork butts. It's the one thing I haven't changed.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #14
hogs122
Full Fledged Farker

Not to sound snarky, but why not go with a well respected commercial rub like Oakridge or Plowboys? I've yet to hear anyone say they dislike either of those. I've used both with and without injection and certainly haven't noticed any hammy taste.

Custom Insulated Reverse Flow Cabinet
Kamado Joe Big Joe
UDS
hogs122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's not the Hickory.