I dont care its only 30 outside!!

erock1320

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Opened up the chest freezer and it threw this at me! A 6.7lb bone in, skin on picnic... Which I gladly accepted :becky:

IMG_20151205_103455835_HDR.jpg

Only 90 min in at a nice low 200 over Oak, Apple and Cherry.

IMG_20151205_124016236_HDR.jpg

4 hours at 200-225. Internal temp at 126. Time to throw some btu's at it and get that fat rendered. Trying an off the wall injection hence the absence of rub. See what kind of flavors I get out of it. More pics to follow!!

Interesting. I have always cut the skin off myself. Never thought to leave it on and I just thawed out a picnic roast for tomorrow. I will have to give that a try.
It looks very good so far.
Does the skin increase the cook time? Does it keep the fat from rendering? Sorry to pepper you with questions but I am very curious. Thanks.

Interesting. I have always cut the skin off myself. Never thought to leave it on and I just thawed out a picnic roast for tomorrow. I will have to give that a try.
It looks very good so far.
Does the skin increase the cook time? Does it keep the fat from rendering? Sorry to pepper you with questions but I am very curious. Thanks.

The skin isnt shrinking up as much as i thought it would. Only my second attempt at a skin on. Soon after my last post I raised the temp to 300. Internal as of 30 min ago was 178. Raised the cooker to 375 to put a good caramalzation on the exterior. Just about ready to pull. Stay Tuned Folks!!

IMG_20151205_162821606_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151205_162833841_HDR.jpg

Pulled off the smoker at 189 internal. Bottom is overdone. Perhaps a water bath directly under it or I over did it on the final rise of temp.

IMG_20151205_163425492_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151205_163553950.jpg

IMG_20151205_180947481.jpg

End result was pretty tasty. Skin slid right off in one piece. Fat under the skin rendered so-so. I think a bit more time running around the 300 mark would have resulted in a better product.

IMG_20151205_182328119_HDR.jpg

Would like to share this with you. Thank Micheal Simon
6- carrots
2oz- pecans
2-3tbspns- dark brown sugar
s&p
Fresh grated nutmeg
Zest of one small lemon
Flat leaf parsley

Hot pan with some evoo, add carrots and s&p. Once carmalized on one side add pecans. Toss well to coat with the oil. Add sugar, nutmeg and lemon zest. Once the sugar has completely dissolved remove from pan and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!!

Look's good! Next time, you might want to try cooking with the skin on the bottom. Use it as a barrier from the heat.

Look's good! Next time, you might want to try cooking with the skin on the bottom. Use it as a barrier from the heat.

+1 on fat/skin down on the pellet version of this cook and I second that it looks fantastic!

Thanks fellas! It did have a thick fat cap under the skin I was trying to render. Was going back and forth on the skin up or down before tossing it on. Fab up a water pan that will fit under the grate sitting right on the heat diffuser.:thumb:

Cube that smoked fat up into 1/2 inch sized pieces and put in a skillet or dutch oven atop of the stove and make cracklings. You'll also render some lard out...

Back