MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default My Birthday Dinner!

So its time to redeem myself on the WSM! 4th cook, still learning to cook on it! botched a batch of chicken wings last time.

Tonight on My birthday menu is baby back ribs, home made mac and cheese and grilled broccoli. Gonna throw on some chicken wings for the wife!

How long should I cook the baby backs before putting the chicken wings on with it? Sorry no pics. Haven't put the ribs on yet. Can't find the freakin camera! Will find it and have finished product pics to add to the post :D
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

Happy Birthday!

I think smoked chicken wings on your WSM shouldn't take more than a couple hours. The ribs will mostly likely take 4-5 hours.

The thing I would worry about most is contamination of your ribs with raw chicken that is added late into the cook. Just be careful, or it might be an explosive post-birthday celebration.

If you wanna be safe(r), you can keep the ribs cooking on the top grate and put the chicken wings on the lower grate whenever you decide to put them on. That way the chicken drippings don't get on your ribs.
jwtseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtseng View Post
Happy Birthday!

I think smoked chicken wings on your WSM shouldn't take more than a couple hours. The ribs will mostly likely take 4-5 hours.

The thing I would worry about most is contamination of your ribs with raw chicken that is added late into the cook. Just be careful, or it might be an explosive post-birthday celebration.

If you wanna be safe(r), you can keep the ribs cooking on the top grate and put the chicken wings on the lower grate whenever you decide to put them on. That way the chicken drippings don't get on your ribs.
I'm only running the top rack on the WSM. its an 18.5 but there's plenty of room. Also not using a water pan. I was just gonna slide the ribs over. and keep the chicken wings away from the ribs? I didn't plan on the two meats touching each other? would i still have a problem doing this? If so I'll probably start preparing to put the wings on the 2nd rack! I wouldn't wanna use the 2nd rack without a water pan tho!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Happy Birthday!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Happy birthday brother. Cook the ribs for a couple hours. Then put the wings right beside them. Cook a couple more hours and you are good.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Happy birthday brother. Cook the ribs for a couple hours. Then put the wings right beside them. Cook a couple more hours and you are good.
Man I can't freaking find the camera. Got a question. Do you get "Bark" cooking with the WSM? Seems like my ribs just isn't creating it on the WSM. Running without a water pan. at 275 degrees according to the stock thermometer.

Thanks for the tips the other day. I let the WSM cook for about 30 minutes before putting the wood on. there's a huge difference

Old 11-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Found it! And by the time I wrote my last post and went out to take the picture. It looks like its finally starting to develop a little bark! That was interesting! Looked like it wasn't gonna develop any like it was cooked in the oven or something!
Lookin good tho!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I wrapped the ribs when I put the chicken wings on. the ribs are pretty much falling apart! But That's how I like my ribs. I sauced them and put them back on for a few minutes to let the sauce caramelize a bit.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
smokingkettle
Full Fledged Farker

Looking really good. Happy birthday.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Happy Birthday. Good looking start there.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

Making me hungry! Excellent cook!
jwtseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

That is a delicious bunch of meat!
Happy birth day!

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #13
pga7602
Full Fledged Farker

Happy bday. I love how there's not even an inch left on either end of those ribs.
pga7602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

First off, Happy birthday! Second, Great looking grub

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIa...0Zcup0pvXobQlQ
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #15
modicker
Knows what a fatty is.

Happy Birthday! And Nice Job

Shirley 24x55
modicker is offline   Reply With Quote