THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sjg

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
So I have done three brisket smokes so far. All were prime from costco. First two cooked until 203 and I thought they were good. Last one I took off at 198 because I was impatient and company was arriving and needed to let it rest. The one cooked to 198 was the best by far. I've read elsewhere 203 was the magic number. All were cooked at 225-230.

So for those experienced with briskets, do you find the 198 a better temp or do you go upwards of 203?

while cooking low and slow the internal temp will "probably" be below 200 but you really cannot go by internal temp. smitty is right...look up probe tender if you want to consistently get them right. nothing wrong with noting temps but just don't rely on it for a true sign of a brisket being done. use the IT for knowing when it is time to start checking for doneness.

Last edited:
Yep... There is no magic number. I typically start probing at 195. I cook brisket at around 260-ish and for me it's very rare that one is done below 195. The hotter you cook the higher the finish temp will be, but you really have to go by feel.

Having cooked and logged over 50 brisket cooks I learned a few things:
1. Prime or better - I've had horrid results with cheap meat
2. I cook to 200-203 (depends on temp and feel) and rest for at least 2 hours, usually closer to 3 hours
3. Many say you learn the feel of the meat for when it is ready - this is true. But if you don't do many briskets, it is hard to learn. So get a GOOD meat thermometer. The $4 to $12 ones from Walmart, in my opinion should be tossed... I use a Thermapen. If that is a bit to much (its worth the investment) there are a few decent Lollipop Thermometers out there starting out at around $30. This will help you with temp probing method ... once you've done enough, just like the other guys have said, you'll get a feel for the meat.

Just my thoughts...

I don't even look at finishing temps anymore. Briskets are done when they are probe tender. Some are harder to break than others. Also a long rest is also key, I try to rest mine a minimum of 3 hours.

You'll probably get a lot of "you can't cook to any given temp yada yada" responses. But you are very specifically asking about temp so hopefully you will get some useful help without too many flippant replies :-D.

I agree there isn't a magical temp out there for finishing, but monitoring your technique and time/temp can give you fairly predictable results for a magical temp to start checking. For me when cooking choice I don't check for doneness until 202. Waygu I don't look until 204-205. This is cooking in the 250-325 range. When I go hotter 350-375 I notice the briskets don't finish until 207-210 or even a little higher.

So it cooking temp is a big factor, but even in the mid 250 range I can't tell you the last time I had a brisket be done before 202 and this never fails me. So much of it comes from practice and learning your smoker and practicing consistency.

And of course technique and things like wrapping, panning, butcher paper can all play into why one brisket finished a certain temp vs another. Have fun playing around.

Great question! :-D

The reason so many give the response "cook to probe tender not temp" is because its such solid advice. It isn't because they want to be cool are flame things up.

I truly believe the best way to learn how to nail down brisket is to remove the safety net and preconceived notions of cooking to temp.

Let go, trust the feel. Your food will get better faster.

Were the ones you were cooking from Costco prime grade? I've found that prime briskets tend to probe tender at a lower temp than select or choice.

Thank you for the info. I have started a log book due to short term memory loss during these smokes. Usually from copious amounts of cold beverages. I will definitely start to probe till tender and keep practicing. Thank you for the tips as I was simply trying to find the magic temp.

You asked for temps. Here goes

Smoke at 275
At 165 IT wrap in foil if select- butcher paper choice and up
At 205 remove wrap foiled/papered brisket in towel/place in cooler

1.5-2 or three hours later remove

At about 165 slice chop and serve

These temps will work "most" times. However sometimes the cow don't play fair. I often get called into work during a long cook. These are the directions I give my bride when a call in occurs.

Nothing was trashed- the world didn't stop and she was thrilled. Again you really need to go by feel and probe tender for 100% success. But these temps will get you going.

Last edited:
You are cooking at the same temp I cook my big meats. I cook a lot by time, knowing that during a comp at a certain time my brisket should be around 185°-190°. They usually probe tender at 193°-197°

hope this helps

Back