MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Lavatools Javelin Pro @ $54.99 or Thermapen mk4 @ $99 at these price points
Lavatools Javelin Pro @ $54.99 6 23.08%
Thermapen mk4 @ $99 20 76.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Default Lavatools Javelin Pro @ $54.99 or Thermapen mk4 @ $99

Birthday present for myself which would you choose at those price points?

Lavatools Javelin Pro @ $54.99 or
Thermapen mk4 @ $99

Old 10-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

If the money is an issue, get a Thermapop. Otherwise (or a couple), there is no choice here IMO.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
bvbull200
Take a breath!

You can get the classic Thermapen for $79. I don't see $20 worth of goodies in the Mk4 version.

For $99, though, I'd get a Thermopop ($19 when they have Open Box sales), a brisket, and a bottle of bourbon.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

+1 on the thermopop. They're great. And much cheaper.

BUT as to the question at hand - If it came down to it, Thermoworks just has a better reputation, better customer service, etc etc. I would not think twice about spending a little extra on the thermapen over the lavatools.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
+1 on the thermopop. They're great. And much cheaper.

BUT as to the question at hand - If it came down to it, Thermoworks just has a better reputation, better customer service, etc etc. I would not think twice about spending a little extra on the thermapen over the lavatools.
same here. i have the thermopop and the thermapen. love both of them. just not enough out there yet on the javelin yet.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Fwismoker

I know i like my lavasoft and really like the features on the new javelin pro so gotta try the Javelin Pro. I did a detailed comparison between that and the thermapen and just can't see why not to try to JP

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I only have a purple Thermopop, but it works fantastic. I use it, damn near, every cook. It's not as fast as a Thermopen, but +/- 2 seconds, works for me.

Matt

Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
Fwismoker

Thermoworks will always win a poll like this because it's the main player but that lavasoft a'int too shabby.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

If it helps to make your decision, there is a sale on the original Thermapen in White, Pink and Orange for 48hrs only - $69

http://thermoworks.com/products/ther...lor-Classic-cs

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

Thermoworks hit a homerun with the Thermapen.

It reads superfast and is super accurate.

However what separates it from the rest is the durability of the thermapen. The thing can take a beating and keep on ticking.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

However what separates it from the rest is the durability of the thermapen. The thing can take a beating and keep on ticking.
That, and customer service. They are very responsive and will fix a Thermapen in the rare event that there is an issue for a reasonable fee (It used to be around $10, but I haven't had to do that for a long time.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
AZRaptor
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

It is durable, but I still don't recommend trying to lift a pork loin by sticking it with your Thermapen and lifting , just go back inside and get a fork or put on your gloves.

That being said, the probe was able to be bent back straight.

As to which one to get I can only recommend Thermaworks, because I'd never heard of the other one until I saw this topic.
"[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3394956&postcount=48"]Eleanor[/URL]" my [URL="http://www.ShirleyFabrication.com"]Shirley Fabrication[/URL] 24x50 RF Straight Back Cabinet Smoker
[URL="http://www.blazngrillworks.com/"]Blaz’n Grill Works[/URL] [URL="http://www.blazngrillworks.com/the-grid-iron/"]Grid Iron[/URL] Pellet smoker
AZRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
mbp
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Compare the Javelin Pro To The Thermopop

Since the Javelin Pro is a thermistor and not a thermocouple you would really have to compare it to the ThermoWorks Super-Fast RT600C which is $15 right now on thermoworks.com or the ThermoWorks Thermopop which is $29.

The Thermapen Mk4 is in a league all by itself!
mbp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
mbp
Got rid of the matchlight.

What's is your favorite pellet smoker?
mbp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
Since the Javelin Pro is a thermistor and not a thermocouple you would really have to compare it to the ThermoWorks Super-Fast RT600C which is $15 right now on thermoworks.com or the ThermoWorks Thermopop which is $29.

The Thermapen Mk4 is in a league all by itself!
I don't think i'd compare it to the RT600C which has a 5-6 second reading when the JPro has a 3-4 second and way more features. Maybe you're thinking of just the javelin aka lavasoft version.