Quick Steak Grilling Question

skwerlee

Knows what a fatty is.
I picked up a large New York Strip at the grocery store today for dinner. It's 1.5" thick and weighs about 1.25 pounds. My wife likes her steak medium and I like mine medium rare. Would it be OK for me to cut this in half before grilling so we're both happy with the doneness?

Yes, that is exactly what I would do.
Sounds like you are going to have a good dinner.

Ok great thanks. I've not grilled such a thick cut before. I'll go hot and fast I think my grillgrates are up to the task

You bought the steak, you're cooking the steak. Cook it the way that you want it! Your wife can order pizza!

:wacko::loco::crazy::tsk:

:becky:

:fish::pile::jaw::behindsofa:

You bought the steak, you're cooking the steak. Cook it the way that you want it! Your wife can order pizza!

Yep that's the ticket. It has taken 15 years to train the wife on how to appreciate a properly cooked med rare steak from death kill. The kids don't know any other way. Start now, it will take time.

Opus and Bill for prez!!!

Dude - you are finally allowed to cook again - you are begging for a hurting talking like that.

You could cut the steak one of two ways. Either stand it on it's side (fat side up) and cut it long ways into 2 3/4 inch full NY strips or divide it in half and have 2 1.5 inch steaks. Which you should do comes down to personal preference.

Back