Amazing ribs ultimate smoked turkey

Eddiecalder

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Im planning on smoking a turkey tomorrow and following the Amazing Ribs ultimate smoked turkey recipe. The only thing i am undecided on is what cooker to use. Im leaning towards my 22.5" kettle over my Big Steel Keg kamado. Any opinions?

I've never used a steel keg, but I've cook many birds on a kettle. All have turned out fantastic.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I've only cooked turkeys on my bsk, and they've been terrific. Both the keg and the kettle are cookin' machines. :thumb:

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I've only cooked turkeys on my bsk, and they've been terrific. Both the keg and the kettle are cookin' machines. :thumb:

How would you rank you cookers from favorite to least favorite. Im considering a PBC myself......

I'd use whatever setup will give you the most direct heat.

I'd use whatever setup will give you the most direct heat.

Its gonna be a game time decision. Once i butterfly this 18lbs bird i'll need to see if it fits properly on the kettle. The BSK with the diffuser will most likely have more real estate.

How would you rank you cookers from favorite to least favorite. Im considering a PBC myself......

In terms of use, it's bsk, pbc, Jr. Joe, kettle, and finally wsm. I love 'em all, but if I could only keep one, I'd keep the bsk for it's versatility. It can do low 'n slow and can sear like a balrog. If I could keep two, it'd be the bsk and pbc. The Jr. is fantastic, but I only use it for solo cooking. Kettle and wsm are tried and true cooking machines, but I don't use them as much anymore. 95% I cook on either the keg, pbc, or Jr.

The pbc is fantastic. I don't think you'd regret picking one up.

I love my BSK as well. I just seem to like poultry cooked with briquettes more. I dont usually use briquettes in the BSK due to the ash production.

Back