• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Car got creamed, called off work, good day

Flatheadyoungin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
for some Q!

I pulled out in front of a young girl this morning and we clipped each other. It was my fault but she had a car that was a perfect color match for asphalt and no headlights on...ugh! Along the Ohio River, fog is extremely thick in the fall. My wife and I have had several conversations about it, lately. We tell our employees all the time to run headlights, even in the day time. Regardless, she did her best to avoid hitting me and it could have been much, much worse. It would have been at highway speed and a direct impact to my driver's door....shooowee, thank God she wasn't half asleep or texting.

Since all was ok, I called off work while I was waiting on the cop to show up. I came home and fixed breakfast on the Blackstone and enjoyed a nice breakfast outside with my wife- all the kids were at school!

At noon, I threw on some babybacks and a brisket. I have a couple of questions:

Minion, fully loaded charcoal grate, WSM 22.5, Pitmaster IQ110 set on 250, hickory chunks under a half full chimney, using the water tray, both pcs. of meat on top rack, not using my IGrill or any other temp probe except the Pitmaster's ambient probe.

Babybacks: rubbed, thrown on at noon, consistent 250, pulled and wrapped at 4 in foil (first time I've ever wrapped), I didn't have any apple juice to add, put them back on, still at 250 (IQ does a great job!!)

I was shooting for the 3-2-1 but I had to go get the kids from school. So I wrapped at 4 hours. Should I only leave them wrapped for 1 hour, then sauce and sear? That would still be a 6 hour smoke like the 3-2-1. I'd like to have these for dinner at 5 but it's not too critical.

Brisket: same specs as above but used coarse salt and ground pepper (saw that in a thread here somewhere), I'm not concerned about having this for dinner. When should I wrap the brisket? I messed up my first brisket about a year ago and really haven't taken the time to try it again. I've seen where to wrap it when it turn a dark red (not temp??) and about when should I start probing it?

On at noon

Pulled BBacks wrapped at 4

Last edited:
Wow! I've never wrapped my BB ribs. I got them out of the foil was going to sauce them and char on the gasser but they were completely falling apart. Wow! I've always had wonderful rub and sauce flavor but never could get the tenderness I was looking for. I was afraid to try and move them to the gasser because they are so tender- too tender?

I probed the brisket and wrapped it up.

3-2-1 is way too long for BB's at 250 degrees. That was meant for full spares at 225. Unless of course you like them falling apart tender.
Your ribs were probably done when you wrapped them at 4 hours.

Sorry about your accident. Glad everyone is ok.

Glad everybody was ok.
At that temp if you wanted to wrap should've wrapped at 3.5hrs then pulled half hour later.

Good advice.....I'm a learnin!

Yes, I like what it did to the fat but but they were too tender (such a thing?)

I find if you don't want fall off the bone ribs...45 min is plenty in foil.

So wrapping doesn't only power through the stall (like pork butt) it is what actually tenderizes it? I was under the impression that time is what helps tenderize....

Looks like you made the best of a bad start. Nice cook and glad all are ok.

Flathead, I admire your choice to handle the accident in the manner you did. Cooking on a smoker can sure help the nerves after getting delt a morning like yours!!! (Oh, and great job on the cook)

Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Great looking food!

The food looks great! Yes, ribs can be too tender. But I feel like that is better that tough under cooked meat. Happy to hear that everyone is okay after your incident

So wrapping doesn't only power through the stall (like pork butt) it is what actually tenderizes it? I was under the impression that time is what helps tenderize....

It's a combination of both but wrapping will braise the meat and will definitely help to tenderize the meat. It will help with the stall like you said, but most people that wrap for ribs are only doing it to help braise the meat a bit.

That's what I call turning lemons into BBQ!

Glad all is well, But to take responsibility for your own actions , How dare you ! :bow:
Still believe they are for more good people in this world than bad.

The brisket turned out good. I would have like a bit more flavor but for my 2nd attempt at brisket, it was good. I only used coarse ground pepper and coarse salt. The smoke ring wasn't very thick but the texture was tender with a little chew. I pulled it off about 7 and wrapped in a towel and placed in a thick Styrofoam box.

Estol:

Yeah, that's just my personality. I deal with young people all day that never own up to anything. Their first instinct is to lie, deny, or deflect. I always tell them that you can get by with a lot more (I did in school) if you just say, "My bad, it won't happen again. I thought it would be funny at the time." Man, that got me out of so many detentions and paddling's- quite a few I should have received! Then again, the type of you people that own up to stuff, typically, don't get themselves into too much trouble, so they don't have to lie.

Back