Repainting my 1yr old UDS

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I built my UDS last fall.... I painted it with some cheapo 'bbq grill' paint that I found at the local surplus hardware store. A flat black. Looked great, but a year on our deck uncovered (we get a fair bit of snow in the winter) has made it look crappy...

Maybe I didn't prep the metal well enough? Maybe I put the paint on too thin? It was a 12oz can of bbq paint that I put on....

Should I hit it again with aerosol spray paint? I still have 1 can left of this surplus paint stuff, or switch to a name brand like Rustoleum?

Wire cup or 80 grit flap disk to knockdown the rust....

I don't know if the temps in my UDS warrant going for a 'bbq' paint per se.

Attachments

• uds-new.jpg
    uds-new.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 193
  • uds-rusty.jpg
    uds-rusty.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 192
Sand it down and use Rustoleum high heat grill paint...two coat minimum

Poor metal prep! Sand off all the rust wash in a 50% vinegar water solution followed by a wipe down with paint thinner then a metal primer then top coat it. Contractor trash can liners and a magnet make a cheap cover when not in use.

fwismoker....

"two coats minimum" would I need more than 1 can to get this coverage? My coats are really thin to prevent running.... If I used a 12oz can, would I need more than one you think for a UDS barrel (Just the sides as you can tell from the pics)

Thanks,
Peter

Clean good and wipe down with paint thinner. Two coats of Rust-o-leum high heat ULTRA.I painted my mini wsm build three years ago and it still looks new...just make sure it's ultra.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE7MW4?keywords=rustoleum%20high%20heat%20ultra&qid=1444247871&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 241169 High Heat Ultra Enamel Spray, Black, 12-Ounce: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41onYFYJcAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41onYFYJcAL[/ame]

fwismoker....

"two coats minimum" would I need more than 1 can to get this coverage? My coats are really thin to prevent running.... If I used a 12oz can, would I need more than one you think for a UDS barrel (Just the sides as you can tell from the pics)

Thanks,
Peter

You'll need at least 2 cans for 2 coats. Short even passes and let what you spray set up before spraying more.

Thanks all for the advice.

I got home from work and hit the barrel with the wirecup on my grinder. Got the rusty marks off.

I wiped it down with vinegar twice then dried it with a paper towel.

I had a spare can of the grill paint leftover from my build, so I used that. I used 80%+ of the can on the barrel.

Looks good for now. If it rusts again, I'll redo it with 2 cans of a name brand paint.

Attachments

• 2015-10-07 18.10.09.jpg
    2015-10-07 18.10.09.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 141
Going back to grade school math.... the surface area of the walls (not top and bottom) of the barrel would be 2(pie)r x height....

figuring a 23" diameter, and 34" height, looks like I need to cover about 17sqft of barrel for one coat of paint.

Definitely going to get a 2nd or maybe 3rd can of this paint if the surplus place still has it...

No primer you'll be redoing it, Primer bonds to metal paint bonds to primer.

show me a high heat primer in aerosol.....

Rustoleum has high heat spray primer but it isn't necessary. Primer is a good thing and will let you use less paint but the high heat paint by itself in enough coats do the job. Definitely nothing wrong with the primer though...It's a gray color and is durable.

show me a high heat primer in aerosol.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rustoleum-Automotive-249340-Primer-Spray/dp/B00CBJWG00"]Rustoleum Automotive 249340 12 Oz Gray High Heat Primer Spray Paint - Arts And Crafts Spray Paint - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N%2B8K5ZmQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41N%2B8K5ZmQL[/ame]

bludawg does have a bit of a point. An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all of that.

:confused:I don't get the whole HI Temp paint thing. Regular old spray bomb Acrylic Enamel Krylon held up just fine. I used it on my UDS, outside of a few scratches and grease stains it looked as good as it did when I built it when it went to a new owner 9 yrs later and I cook over 300 deg.

:confused:I don't get the whole HI Temp paint thing. Regular old spray bomb Acrylic Enamel Krylon held up just fine. I used it on my UDS, outside of a few scratches and grease stains it looked as good as it did when I built it when it went to a new owner 9 yrs later and I cook over 300 deg.

For most UDS temps you're probably right. I'm probably in the minority but I run splits and the bottom half especially get's stupid hot and the paint has burned off. I went out got a super high heat paint and the paint holds up great.

The non hi-temp stuff gets a little soft at a lower temperature. Left untouched, sure, it'll return to it's normal state after it cools down and you'll be non-the-wiser. Get a little heat in it and accidentally have something brush up against it and it won't look so great anymore. 3/4's of the drum probably never sees high enough heat for it to matter, but that bottom quarter does routinely.

Hi-temp stuff costs, what, $1 more? $2? Even if it takes two cans, it's worth it.

Back